What stock 60/40 pwr. seats easily fit my '96 K1500? (i.e. what other years fit?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good, long bucket seat sticky here, but didn't find what i was looking for. I have a 1996 K1500 ext. cab. So it has the cloth 60/40 seat arranged with the, "bucket," section on the passenger's side, (probably because the bucket-like seat can move more to allow for rear seat entry) . I'm pretty sure the same truck in a standard cab would have the 60, (longer), portion on the passenger side instead. Mine has power lumbar that doesn't work. I'm on in years and and I pay attention to seat support - so if I had the bucket seat on my driver's side, I'd have a little more hip support on each side of me. (Long story with chiropractor, etc., on this subject of seats - bench being the worst option) So, can anyone tell me:
1. What model years of gmt400 60/40 seats will drop in to my seat mounts???? (So I know what years to look for in wrecking yards)
2. I understand a power seat plugs into the same underseat connector that I have for my failed electric lumber. Correct???
3. Do power seats mount the same as mine?
I know most in a wrecking yard may need repair, but I'm willing to do that. I had a 1990 GM 3500 diesel once with the 60/40 seat that gave me a bucket on the driver's side and I loved that seat. I'm really not interested in two individual bucket seats aa occasionally I might have a young person sitting briefly in the middle. I also like the drop down consul/armrest. Thanks for any tips, Dennis in E WA

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I’ve looked for the same seat because my truck is an NV4500 5sp and I want the drivers seat to adjust independently of the middle/passenger side.

Only thing I’ve found is 88-94 seats are 60/40 with the drivers seat being separate.

OBS outpost has brackets that make newer seats a bolt in affair and would enable an 07+ (99+ brackets coming soon). This would allow two buckets and a jump seat center seat (also have brackets for that I believe)

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94K....., thanks. Appears we each want the same thing. When younger, I spent many years behind the wheel of my '70 Impala and '72 Impala. Both with straight bench seats. Too late in the game, I realized that as those seats, "broke down," my left hip sat on more support on the seat, "end," and my right hip, "sagged," as the seat softened toward the middle. I now have L4/L5 spinal problems and that I'm sure contributed to it because I sat, "tilted." (Other issues didn't help me either, but that was a part of it all) So I pay attention to seats a lot more. Never thought about going "back" to pre-'95 seats........ I'd have to thing pretty hard about that. Main point I see in your reply is that I won't find what I want in the '95 to '98'ish model years.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94K....., thanks. Appears we each want the same thing. When younger, I spent many years behind the wheel of my '70 Impala and '72 Impala. Both with straight bench seats. Too late in the game, I realized that as those seats, "broke down," my left hip sat on more support on the seat, "end," and my right hip, "sagged," as the seat softened toward the middle. I now have L4/L5 spinal problems and that I'm sure contributed to it because I sat, "tilted." (Other issues didn't help me either, but that was a part of it all) So I pay attention to seats a lot more. Never thought about going "back" to pre-'95 seats........ I'd have to thing pretty hard about that. Main point I see in your reply is that I won't find what I want in the '95 to '98'ish model years.

Yeah the 95+ don’t have anything

To answer your other questions-
-Yes same connectors (or at least wires)
-The power seats do mount the same but note that new power motors may not be available if they fail. Replacing would be an eBay search kind of deal

I think I’m going to do the individual buckets and jump seat/console middle seat like I mentioned

My wife is 5’9 and about a 36” inseam and I’m 5’11 with a 32” inseam. And need to push the clutch in so we definitely can’t have a solid bench lol

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you've got a good plan for your rig. After thinking it through, I'm likely staying with what I have, but will try to get any sags that bother me, .... repaired. Thank you for confirming a power seat will likely drop in my truck. If a good one shows up, I'll get it. Then save my old still "usable" seat in case the power seat mechanicals/motors quit. Good luck and thank you.