What size speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjrider

Reaction score
What are y'all running? I would like to get a new stereo and speakers and would like to know what fits in the stock positions of my ext. cab. :Rock on:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
MB quart 6.5" components in the doors for me.

Mids in the stock openings, tweets in custom sail panels.

Not sure if that helps ya any....

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pioneer 6.5" components, tweeters in stock location, cheap Kicker 4x6's on a kill-switch in the back.

rjrider said:
...would like to know what fits in the stock positions of my ext. cab.

What are the proper replacement sizes for an extended cab GMT-400? Front doors are 6.5" (some come stock with components, some don't. A minimal amount of modding and aftermarket tweeters will fit in the stock locations) and rear (edit: wrong^) panels are 4x6's.
Them's the sizes that'll bolt right up.

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP has a 88-94 interior. He has dash speakers instead of door speakers.

My mistake. Why do I always think everyone has the super-duper awesome smooth fancy 95-00 interior layout...probably cause that's all I work on.

Proper speaker sizes for stock 88-94 are 4x6" up front in the dash, 4x6" in the rear panels. That should solve things. A nice look at Crutchfield.com can solve your problems as well. Look for anything that doesn't say "fits with bracket" or "fits with modification", and that is the stock speaker size. Assuming you've entered the correct vehicle information that then filters the results to speakers that fit your vehicle.

Last edited:

rjrider

Reaction score
Thanks y'all for the replies. I have been doing some research and was wondering what it would take to install 6x9s in the rear? Also what brand/model of speakers are y'all running?

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My boxed 6x9's are Kicker KS693. They are 3-ways and they put out really nice when wired to an amp. (Got em at 100watts RMS per channel, two channel amp)

Not sure how well they would sound running just off the stereo, being roughly 15-20 watts for a decent stereo. Titanium tweeters are nice and bright but for your application, the rear pillars, I think they'd be too harsh. I bought em cause they bear the elements better and metal tweeters are recommended for "out in the open" applications, such as a convertible.

No matter if you go with 4x6's or 6x9's, I'd recommend getting speakers with silk tweeters if you have a decent budget. Poly-anything-else tweeters would be second best. You probably don't want metal tweeters screaming in your ears at head-level and right behind you. Again, I'd go to Crutchfield.com and if you don't want to buy from them, at the very least, search and decide what you want based on their information. They have SO much more information than manufacturer and other retail sites have.

Last edited: