What shocks do I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me when someone asks for advice here, gets really good advice, and then proceeds to announce that they are not following the advice. I guess the Monroe shocks would be better than 30 plus year old originals but not for long. I guess the other possibility is that the post is not so subtle SPAM.
This^^^

As I’ve said before, I don’t trust Monroe’s to last as far as I can bounce them…….

Torsion bars cranked and Monroe shocks, that should be an interesting ride…….

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got some skyjacker hydro 7000s from Summit Racing. $45 a peice will see how they do.

Attachments

• 20210729_182315.jpg
    20210729_182315.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 7

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: I went ahead and bought the Bilstein 4600s, got a reasonable deal from Ebay (Germany).

I've had them installed for two weeks now and I'm super happy. They ride great on paved road, bad paved road and dirt roads.
Not too hard, not too soft, just perfect!

Now to sort out slight brake problems..., see my other thread:
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/brake-pedal-slow-return-after-new-booster.54087/

Alex_92Blazer

Reaction score
How are the Skyjackers working out for ya? I've got a 92 Blazer that I've been working on, put the Monroe cheapy all around (rear with the Spring assist) and at first they seemed an improvement but after a complete front end rebuild, one piece at a time I'm starting to think they are the weak link.

Shocks (Monroe) complete FR Brakes. while doing those I noticed bushings on the UCR Shot to hell. Opted for a new set of Control arms with Ball joints preinstalled. I cheaped out and got store brand (Oreilles) lower ball joints which, incidentally unless they've already been changed I will never do again. BJ Rivets kicked my ass, Battery powered tools, pneumatic tools, tried and true sledge, Pickle and punch - all failed me. I know everyone here can have em off in under 15 minutes per side, I couldn't (F Chevy and their 'RIVET THE WORKLD' mentality on these trucks. LOL) Replaced those after 1 failed in a week, with MOOG and MOOG everything afterwards as well. Inner n Outer Tie Rods with Sleeve, installed a steering damper and just yesterday swapped out the old K02s 185/75/16s with an offerup SCORE of Deep Rally (probably knock-offs) wrapped in 33x12.5x15 newer Ko2s looks great but still floats a bit in the front. Oh, also did the U bolt/Rag Joint eliminator. its come a long way but not quite there yet.

I apologize for Thread HiJack but i see a few others did and Im a follower. Kidding, this was found on a forum search and seems to have some real good info, so assuming anyone is in my place doing a search this thread will come through for them too. Lotsa good info here

Attachments

• BlazerWNewWheels.jpg
    BlazerWNewWheels.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 8

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first response to this thread is still true. I’d add KYB MonoMax a close second. IMO!

Alex_92Blazer

Reaction score
Just got some skyjacker hydro 7000s from Summit Racing. $45 a peice will see how they do.
forgot to quote your post. my first post was directed at you ZSeventy-one if you get a minute
The first response to this thread is still true. I’d add KYB MonoMax a close second. IMO!
understood, full disclosure and embarrassing to a small degree - My truck isnt flashy as you might have gathered by my ultra High end paint job - Primer is Classy I dont care what anyone says HAHA. When I saw the wheels on Offer-Up my intent was to change the ring color but it grew on me. My first thought was that Rancho Red n White RS5000 would be an improvement over the current Monroe (a stick and rubber bands would likely be an improvement) but I'd read some opposing opinions on them here when speaking of these vehicles in particular. as a Whole the reviews are really positive on them. The SkyJackers pictured ...well, you get the idea.
I have 5100's on my 14 F150 with the fronts set at the max height and am pretty happy overall. I don't think they lived up to the hype on the Ecoboost/F150 boards but I got rid of the puck style level I had originally installed and I know they'll last a good long time. so yeah, just looking for dudes opinion so if he digs em I can throw em on and have a better shock while keep my ultra flashy reputation in tact, if at all possible.

Last edited: