What shocks are people running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey1104

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting Bilstein 5100 4-6 inch shocks for my lifted truck I have heard a lot of good things about these shocks.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had the stock size yellow Bilsteins on my truck. I decided to replace them because I was having an issue and figured they were due...I think the problem was actually a tire. The old Bilsteins had more resistance to them than the brand new shocks I was putting on. They're the heaviest shock I've ever seen. I cleaned them up and put them away for later. They'll probably go back on the truck at some point.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no experience with the 5100s, but both of my stock height '97s are running the yellow and blue 4600s. I'm a big fan of them, they ride great.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
On my '89 K1500, I'm running Monroe 34985's. I forgot whatever was there before but these firmed the ride up rather nicely, rides like you figure a truck ought to and isn't bouncy or floaty like it was before.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bilstein 5100s. I had the 4600 I believe(yellow and blue) when it was stock.

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
I'm doing some front-end work on a 95 2500 4 x diesel Suburban. And the Bilstein shocks have unbelievably strong resistance. I think they're top of the line. I've had my share of Gabriel's and Monroe's and KYBs. The monroes made in USA are especially bad, and the Gabriel's made in Mexico were especially good. But I think these bilsteins are the best shocks I've ever seen. And then of course there's the old GM spirals from the 60s that last 50 years

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When shopping for a set in the past (also while doing a lot of other front end work) I was specifically looking for other options outside of Bilsteins that offered a lifetime warranty. Only other aftermarket option (at the time at least) was Rancho 9000 series, which had adjustable knobs right on the shocks to increase or decrease resistance. Settings 1-9, where setting 5 was the 'stock equivalent'. They are also compatible with the Rancho "My Ride" system (which unfortunately was complete crap).
I went and bought them at my local 4 wheel parts using the part #s they came up within their system. I was also getting a new set of tires at the time so I just had my tire shop (NOT 4 wheel parts, but my local mom&pop shop) install them. 4 wheel parts sold me the wrong parts, but thankfully my tire shop caught it and got me the right ones. Ended up losing out on my rebate because of it (tire shop was not an authorized Rancho distributor) which sucked, but better than having the wrong ones...forever. If you go this route, call Rancho to confirm your part #s and then shop around.

The only adjustments I crawl under and make are to the rears when I'm towing heavy (I dial them up to 9) and there is DEFINITELY an improvement in bounce when cruising across transitions on the highway.

I've read (in forums) praises to Rancho Warranty conditions too, something as minimal as the adjustment knob breaking off gets an exchange no problem. No registration required at the time of purchase as long as you can provide proof of purchase when you are trying to exchange (a VERY important detail to pay attention to when you're buying something for its warranty)

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just realizing your looking for shocks for your lifted application. I seem to remember Rancho NOT offering shocks for lifted trucks in the 9000 series. The 9000 series was only one with a lifetime warranty...if that's even what you're after specifically