What now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all - 1998 K2500 5.7L 249,000miles. So this is where I'm at. I have mechanic notes stating that the intake manifold gasket needs to be replaced, and I am planning to do that very soon, and have the parts. In the meantime, I knew I was having some coolant leakage issues, so I replaced the radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, and coolant temp sensor. I was also having a bit of a rough idle immediately prior to that, so I replaced the plugs as well, see pic below for the worst looking ones when they came out. At this point, about the only thing left to do is the intake manifold gasket, but what I'm smelling is that I'm running rich somehow, I can smell gas. Would a bad intake manifold gasket cause this, and what would be the best way to look at the mixture settings or whatever would be causing me to run rich? Thanks, I have a code reader I got from a friend, and the auto parts store is close, and they will read them as well. Appreciate any thoughts you may have. The rough idle seems to have smoothed out, but it is still there subtly.
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For running rich, many things, 02 sensors, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, temperature sensor, among others. Will be good to see any codes.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
White smoke could be a sign of manifold gasket leaking. Have you checked the oil to make sure there’s no coolant leak in it? Milky appearance. My gasket was recently replaced but thankfully the coolant was leaking out of the rear of the intake manifold and not into the oil. I also caught it early. You def don’t want to continue running it with compromised oil, for sure.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update- there is definitely coolant in the oil. I’m guessing tightening up the pressure in the cooling system whereas before it was leaking. caused this.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update- there is definitely coolant in the oil. I’m guessing tightening up the pressure in the cooling system whereas before it was leaking. caused this.
No, it's probably the leaking intake gaskets that have already been noted by a mechanic via whatever testing methods he used. Really scratching my head here, because you're working in a circle around a known problem.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, I’m sure you’re correct, although besides the leaking radiator, and suspension/steering box issues, it was running like a top up until this morning, and the oil was fine, I’ve been checking it frequently, so that’s why I put this on the back burner.