What muffler should I go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 96 C2500 with a 7.4l. All stock 35k miles. What muffler should I choose to go with? I am looking to have a nice n loud sound, with plenty of raunchy to it.. This would be the first upgrade I would have done to it. Also I believe the inlet is dual in and single out, but I don't know what size. What would you recommend?

Attachments

• 20210825_185809.jpg
    20210825_185809.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 3

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been using Gibson now, 3 trucks in a row. Awesome flow, barely noticable at idle, great tone at 3500 rpms.
Single in dual out on my TBI 5.7
Dual in, single out on my 5.7 Vortec Suburban
Dual in, dual out on my 5.7 Vortec Denali

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
However, if you want loud and nasty, get a single chamber muffler. Similar to a Flowmaster Super 10. But NOT a Flowmaster Super 10.
I tried a pair of stainless single chamber mufflers from Amazon, company called Totalflow. Welded them, and stainless Y, to the OE muffler inlet pipe assy, and the OE tailpipe, back into my Denali. (Because the Denali/Escalade has the ground effects cutout, and the unique oval tip)
Holy shat, what an incredible sound. Puts my Gibson to shame with an aggressive exhaust note.
My vote from now on is a pair of single chambers and the OE tailpipe.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about a Flowmaster Catback, but my OEM still looks brand new. Besides, my wife is now on early shifts and my dog and I still like to sleep in.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my 3" in/out Borla Pro XS (IIRC). I gained a few ponies (with my calibrated butt dyno) over a 3 chamber with it too. :waytogo:

You must be registered for see images attach

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I second the Borla Pro XS. My brother has a 87' RAM Charger with dual Borals, and let me tell you, its sounds niiiicccee. It's loud and has a deep tone, but not overdone like some Flowmasters are. You can hear it at idle and at mild RPMs, it turns heads. Granted he has a 318 in it, so yours may sound different.

On my C1500, I have Thrush welded muffler. It sounds good, but it's not really that loud(for me), but it's definitely not quite. I'd say it's a step above a stock muffler.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

3" from cats back straight dump pipe sounds better than any muffler I tried - totally quiet until half throttle then braps out nice. Pops just right decelerating..