What is your favorite RTV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I agree with every one that says only use it when needed no brand preference and I will ad that only use high temp rated meaning red or some of the black ones I do not like the blue ones and the black ones that are not high temp

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Well, we all know that rtv has its place.
And I'm asking you guys when you have one of the listed applications that calls for it, what do yall like?
Specifically, sbc/bbc China rails

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hondabond has my vote. It’s up there with the Toyota stuff. When used in appropriate applications, that stuff seals for a long time. It’s expensive ($18) but I always quote a tube in jobs that require it and have a good supply of it.

I’ve used it obviously on Hondas at work but also many Ford timing covers and the China walls on my small blocks in my trucks.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your favorite rtv for things that will see oil?
Oil pans?
Trans pans?
Diff covers?
China rails?

1. Oil pans, timing covers, valve covers
Usually some equivalent of ThreeBond. Auto manufacturers call them by a variety of names (e.g., Honda Hondabond), but I believe most are made by ThreeBond International, Inc.

2. Trans pans
Permatex automatic transmission gasket maker

3. Differential covers
Permatex gear oil gasket maker

4. China rails
ThreeBond (as #1 above)

5. Thread sealant
Permatex high-temperature thread sealant

As a former Honda tech, I am familiar with the Honda-branded chemicals, including Hondabond, and Hondabond (ThreeBond) is very good stuff.

I don't think there's anything on my vehicle that I would actually use the black RTV (note: I'm talking about this black RTV).

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I've used permatex 'right stuff' for various things, the diff cover sealant, and some variations of the ultra black. No real preference here aside from staying within the recommended uses.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got Permatex Ultra Black on my L98 China walls and around the water ports on the intake gasket, no leaks so far after a couple years. Did my rear diff dry with a new fel-pro gasket and torqued the bolts to factory spec with thread sealant as per factory service manual, no leaks there either. I try to go for dry install gaskets where possible.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we all know that rtv has its place.
As always, RTV silicone is for use INSTEAD of a gasket or rubber seal, not for use as a gasket sealant except to seal the seam where two gaskets meet, or a gasket and a rubber seal meet.

when you have one of the listed applications that calls for it, what do yall like?
Specifically, sbc/bbc China rails
Permatex The Right Stuff.
www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/black-gasket-makers/permatex-the-right-stuff-black-1-minute-gasket-maker-7-5-oz/

Resistant to gear oil, transmission fluid, coolant, oil and common shop fluids
Like all RTV Silicones, has issues with direct gasoline contact.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't fully understand the dislike for rtv here... i use that **** on pretty much everything, and have for years.... permatex black...