What is your favorite RTV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Permatex Right Stuff is what we use at the track when we absolutely have to seal something. The fact that it's the one RTV that half your responses are recommending should tell you something.

Is that really an rtv? I assumed it was some kind of urethane. When I think of rtv, I think of something like silicone glue.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that really an rtv? I assumed it was some kind of urethane. When I think of rtv, I think of something like silicone glue.

Permatex®s The Right Stuff 1 Minute Series offers the fastest return to service in just 1 minute! This leak-proof, elastomeric °Formed-in-place” material is more reliable and longer lasting than pre-cut gaskets. It is blowout resistant and protects against leaks and seepage caused by vibration and thermal expansion. The Right Stuff Black 1 Minute is designed for high-flexible, high oil resistance applications and is formulated to meet or exceed performance standards for long-term sealability, durability and handling.

FEATURES​

1 High flexibility and oil resistance
2 Sensor-safe, non-corrosive, RTV silicone
3 Resistant to gear oil, transmission fluid, coolant, oil and common shop fluids
4 Quickly returns vehicle to service in just 1 minute
5 Resistant against weathering and thermal cycling without hardening, shrinking or cracking

This ad brought to you by Permatex ;)

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Permatex®s The Right Stuff 1 Minute Series offers the fastest return to service in just 1 minute! This leak-proof, elastomeric °Formed-in-place” material is more reliable and longer lasting than pre-cut gaskets. It is blowout resistant and protects against leaks and seepage caused by vibration and thermal expansion. The Right Stuff Black 1 Minute is designed for high-flexible, high oil resistance applications and is formulated to meet or exceed performance standards for long-term sealability, durability and handling.

FEATURES​

1 High flexibility and oil resistance
2 Sensor-safe, non-corrosive, RTV silicone
3 Resistant to gear oil, transmission fluid, coolant, oil and common shop fluids
4 Quickly returns vehicle to service in just 1 minute
5 Resistant against weathering and thermal cycling without hardening, shrinking or cracking

This ad brought to you by Permatex ;)

Richard

Thanks....I'm at work on my phone, so interneting is hard.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only place i can think of where RTV seems to be the best way to go is on the China Rails.

For all other use, Gaskets and O-rings rule.
You have a point where clearances are involved. Years back I replaced a broken gear selector spring for a friend on his motorcycle and used a sealing compound rather than a gasket. Without the 'spacing' the gasket would have provided the clutch case bound the gear change mechanism undoing the work of the new spring. A gasket sorted it. The likes of china rails where there's no defined clearance is where RTVs excel.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Whether it's truly and RTV or not, it answers the OP's question.

I've never used it, is why I asked. I've always seen it highly reccomended and figured it was different in it's make-up/consistency/whatever. If I ever get around to my intake manifold, it's probably what I'll use since I've seen it reccomended to many times, and the rubber gaskets tend to squeeze out.