What is this for a luxury boat ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Welcome from Wisconsin.

Do you have any pictures of the interior your talking about?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Looks like a conversion vehicle. There were some companies that would take new vehicles & modify them to be sold through various dealerships.
Usually the mods included, but not limited to, running boards, visors, vinyl graphics, aftermarket wheels +/&/or interior 'upgrades' such as woodgrain additions along with aftermarket seats, such as in that vehicle.
Those seats look like the ones from a Co. called 'FlexSteel'. They're just O.K. While they may look nice, the actual construction of those seats is not what I would consider equal to factory quality.
If they are covered with leather, the leather is of a lower grade than the factory GM stuff.
Too soft of a foam base that deteriorates sooner than the originals.
The 'springs' are not actually springs. They are nothing more than 1/2" plastic packaging straps. The same as what's used to wrap around boxes when being shipped. Yea! The designer used the softness of the foam for that comfy feel, with the straps merely there to keep the foam suspended.
I've repaired & rebuilt many of this style. I like to ditch that stupid strap design & replace them with proper 3" wide elastic webbing specifically made for upholstery.
The frames are made of mild steel tubing. They have a tendency to break at the bottom rear. I've had to repair/weld many.
They do not have a recline feature.
If they have heaters in the seats, they are not the best quality. If they work consistently or even at all, they can be prone to overheating. It's 20-25 year old tech. Seat heaters have come a long way in design since. This can lead to multiple problems, resulting in anything from melting the foam, burning up the covers, or the occupants butts.
Not saying that the seats are complete junk. Many people love 'em. They are comfortable. But, just be aware that they are not OEM quality.
When they do need work, they can be upgraded fairly easily.
So basically, they're pretty on the outside, ugly underneath.
Kind of like some women I've known! Lol!

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
What @sewlow said, it looks like a conversion company took that Suburban and made some upgrades to it. And I agree about the seat quality, every conversion I have seen with Flex Steel seats are usually destroyed beyond repairable, comfy, but quality of materials is low grade. Factory seats are still truckin, whereas those conversion seats don’t last long.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No prob!
Back around '99/'00, I helped a buddy for a few months that had a contract to do conversions on '96-'99 Suburban's. 20 of them! Mostly ex-lease or rental vehicles. Bought @ auction. Average to low mileage.
All re-done the same. Same Grey int./Black ext. Same tires & wheels. Same add-ons. All de-badged.
But we used the factory seats as a base with all new covers of our own design. Because they were all going to end up being the same, we made patterns for the seats, carpets & all the little trim pieces.
Spent quite a while pre-making all that before the trucks started to show up.
Then it was just a production line.
3 of us in the interior shop & 3 guys in the body/paint shop.
We were turning out one a week!
Every one of them went to Saudi Arabia. Right out of the shop into a shipping container.
So now, when I see a movie like 'The Kingdom', I kinda wonder if any of all those black GMT400 Suburbans that they crashed, are maybe some of the ones we did?
Oh well. I got paid, so...

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of those conversions you did? If not, no big deal. I really like these conversion trucks, my cousins and some of my family don't like them because they look "grandpa-ish" or "old-man-ish," since they have the wood trim, skirts, tail light covers, bug shields, etc. everything I love about them. I would love to find a California Conversion truck for my next truck.