What is this called???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CARL YUKON

Reaction score
I have a 94 GMC Yukon. There is a vent tube coming from the valve cover on the driver's side. It is not the PVC as it is on the passenger side. The tube broke off at the valve cover and the remainder is stuck in the valve cover opening. The remainder piece seems to be stuck or larger on the inside of the valve cover. I will have to break it up or just leave it to reconnect a vent hose to the valve cover or plug it. Any advice? I do not want to remove the valve cover if at all possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Positive crankcase ventilation hose. It will be listed under emissions.
The PCV hose and valve are on the other side of the engine. This is a vent tube that goes to the back of the Throttle Body spacer between the air filter and the TB. I took the original tube and cut it into pieces and used 13/16" hose IIRC. You can get the hose and valve cover grommet in the self help section of any auto parts store. To keep it from leaking I used some black RTV to seal the grommet to the cover and the hose to the grommet.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The PCV hose and valve are on the other side of the engine. This is a vent tube that goes to the back of the Throttle Body spacer between the air filter and the TB. I took the original tube and cut it into pieces and used 13/16" hose IIRC. You can get the hose and valve cover grommet in the self help section of any auto parts store. To keep it from leaking I used some black RTV to seal the grommet to the cover and the hose to the grommet.

Browse through the heater hose fitting box at your local parts house. Talk with the guy that has been there a while or the commercial guy. Its generally kept behind the counter. It has all sizes of plastic hose splices. One end will push into the grommet and the other end the hose will slide over.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That tube is part of the PCV system, it allows fresh air INTO the crankcase while the PCV valve is on the suction side pulling air, moisture, and fumes OUT of the crankcase.

During times of extreme blow-by, both the PCV valve (suction) side, and that tube allow pressure to escape. In both cases--PCV valve and vent tube--the fumes are captured and directed to the intake airstream so they don't pollute the ambient air.