What is this bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get metal filings in your bearings and seals

I assume the axles are "one half" of the bearing race (semi-float, right?)... so mucking-up the axle's bearing surfaces (assuming they're good now) may not be the best course of action, since (if I'm right) replacing them means replacing the axle ($$).

I know not everyone can or wants to replace everything (ring, pinion, all bearings, all seals, keep the axles if their bearing surfaces are good), but because of the rust I would, now, while it's easy...
:popcorn:

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, IIRC, the bearings have an inner race which the axles ride on (one bearing on each side). Unless a bearing seizes, the axle SB fine.

I know the 8.5" has the bearing surface on the axle (had to replace a noisy bearing / axle on the Suburban) so I assumed the 9.5" did as well.

RockAuto shows this picture for the 8-lug 9.5" axle, and it appears the axle is the inner race of the bearing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the 8.5" has the bearing surface on the axle (had to replace one on the Suburban) so I assumed the 9.5" did as well.
You're right, I had a brain fart, I was thinking about a Mopar instead of the semifloat GM. Yes the axle rides directly on the bearings.

Something like this

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea its a semi float so its a basic setup, even as it sits is an upgrade from the 10 bolt that popped on my truck.
I know doing the ring and pinion is the right thing to do. Might sacrifice time and money and do it, especially because it has the locker that I'm grateful for finding.
I've rebuilt engines, have rebuilt transmissions (4l60e in March), and more. Those aren't bad just cleanliness and time needed. But rear ends, I've only done basics. Pinion seals, wheel seals and bearings, and fluid changes. I'm aware that a gauge is needed for pinion depth and stuff. I don't have an issue doing it, I'm just nervous. Then again, there is YouTube. And here which has been a big help.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just saw an episode of All Girls Garage do a ring and pinion swap, they made it look easier than when I’ve done them. they had all the right tools too ;)

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This .pdf will help...

Attachments

• Standard Gear ring and pinion setup.pdf
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 9

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's this "Differential Housing Spreader" they discuss in the 1998 FSM?

See picture and attached pages from FSM.

I've no experience here, just "seen it" in the FSM.

Attachments

• Differential service from 1998 FSM.pdf
    226.7 KB · Views: 2

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the information, its appreciated. After putting the axles back in with seals and it bolted together, I ripped it all apart again. Got as far as taking the carrier out.

Attachments

• 20221201_194001.jpg
    20221201_194001.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221201_194009.jpg
    20221201_194009.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 10