What is this bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The rust on the ring gear would be my concern. So the bolt only rotates so far or it only comes out so far once loose?

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, like it was out when I opened the cover like the pic shows. Everything else looked normal, to me anyways. The rust im gonna clean up good. Think it sat a long time. The bolt I take a wrench and it moved in maybe a turn or 2, then turns out the same, a turn or 2. I mean I tried gently but hard to turn it out, but it feels so tight I don't wanna screw it up.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, like it was out when I opened the cover like the pic shows. Everything else looked normal, to me anyways. The rust im gonna clean up good. Think it sat a long time. The bolt I take a wrench and it moved in maybe a turn or 2, then turns out the same, a turn or 2. I mean I tried gently but hard to turn it out, but it feels so tight I don't wanna screw it up.

I see now. Well that bolt is right in line with that rust, try hitting it with some penetrating oil and work it back and forth without going nuts and see what happens.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried and it turns all the way in, but still won't turn out like the threads are messed up or something. The smallest things I swear.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about getting numbers off the differential and or the axle housing and or tubes. Then get some information on what your working on.
Do you have the factory service manual covering the year part your working on? If you don't your asking for trouble.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Workin on cleaning up the rust and gonna put new seals in. Are these lockers dependable daily driving?