What is this bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I'm just gonna do it all. I have everything I need except the dial indicator which I'm looking for as we speak. I already ordered the ring and pinion, along with the master bearing kit from my work. I know its a consuming job, but after listening to people and reading on here, I'd rather just do it right the first time, and not worry about it ever again.

@RichLo good to know about your Detroit. Can't wait to try mine out whenever I get this disaster done.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So on a different note, I yanked the front diff from the same truck. I noticed that the side housing where the 4wd actuator is is different, meaning mine has 2 wires, one I took out has 6 wire connector. Can my housing fit onto the one I took out?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So on a different note, I yanked the front diff from the same truck. I noticed that the side housing where the 4wd actuator is is different, meaning mine has 2 wires, one I took out has 6 wire connector. Can my housing fit onto the one I took out?

You can bolt the desired actuator housing to the desired aluminum housing, it's interchangeable. What you have is an old vs new actuator design and you want the newer design.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had a thermal actuator, the Treasure Yard unit is the updated, stepper-motor style. Interchangeable except for some K3500 units. You'll need the wire harness to go with the new actuator; and if you swap it to the other axle assembly, don't forget to dig the spacer out of the new housing to put in the old housing along with the actuator.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Far as I know, a "6-lug" K2500 should have the same front differential as a K1500. Directly interchangeable.

Yes. My late actuator housing on my 1500 was swapped onto an early 4.10 housing plucked from the same 6 lug 2500 that my G80 4.10 14 bolt came from.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got as far as putting new races in housing for pinion and pressing on new bearings on carrier, as well as bolting the new ring gear on carrier. This is taking way longer than I wanted, just to think I assumed I was gonna throw a rear end under my truck.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I do the gear pattern, would you guys be able to tell me if the pattern would be good to run?