What is it worth? Bucket Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Sms auto fabrics has what you need but are over $100 a yard for material

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sms auto fabrics has what you need but are over $100 a yard for material

Have you ever had to deal with SMS?
They don't have a very good rep in the auto upholstery world. In fact, many trimmers will only order from them as a last resort, if at all. Myself included.
I once had to wait for 19 months for 5 hides of leather from them. Which had to be pre-paid for. At an exhorbitant price.
'Cape Buffalo' hides. Factory original leather for a '60 Buick Electra 225 Convertible. A vehicle owned by the owner of the largest GM dealership within 250 miles! A man well-schooled in how to get things done. His calls to SMS produced no results.
They are very good at offering up some pretty creative excuses.
"The raw hides are on a slow boat from Africa to the tannery in Australia."
7 months of 'slow'? Sent via a 2-man Kayak?
"The tannery is having trouble with the dye lot." Plausible. But this is being done at the same tannery that did the original run of hides for GM back in 1960! They did thousands of hides back then, now they're having problems with the process on 5? They fell back on that excuse for 9 months.
"They're stuck in Customs. Something to do with 'CITES' ((the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.)
Nope. Not on the list, and Customs officials would only need 5 minutes to figure that out. But SMS blamed that on another 3 month delay.
During this fiasco, I got so frustrated with this company, that I actually drove to their location to rattle their cage. 8 hours & 465 miles, one way.
That's just one episode I've endured with them.
My Dad's '52 Chevy required a year & multiple samples sent back & forth, which where ALL wrong. I needed a whole 4 yards! Of a material that allegedly according to them, is a fairly common fabric.
They NEVER answer the phone. Call them. Leave a message. They may return the call in a day...or a month. ...and when she does call back, she`s packin`attitude.
The voice on the phone is supposedly the daughter of the original owner of the Co., yet she has no idea of what is in her inventory.
"I'll have to go look for that." In a wharehouse that contains millions of yards of material.
Questions are met with scorn & disdain. Big attitude.
Apparently, there are no formal records, either physically written down, or on computer. I believe this to be called `The Open-Pit Filing System`.
When you ask for 'some' samples, they will bombard you with anything and everything within the color spectrum specified, whether it's right, wrong or even kinda-sorta remotely close.
They say that they actually manufacture original style materials. Have their own looms & related equipment. Want some? That'll take a year. Minimum.
They can't keep employees. They've had an ad for wharehouse help on a couple of upholstery forums for more than a few years. (Ten years on one, alone!) It'll disappear for a couple of months, & then re-appears. It`s run more often than not.
In 40+ years, I have never dealt with such a frustrating company.
I will never deal with SMS again.

Apologies for the rant. You hit a soft spot! Lol!

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I recently bought material from them to redo the gmt 800 buckets to my factory blue. I sent them a sample at lunch and had someone call me back on the way home and ordered it. Now pricing is another story but shame on me for that. I ordered the material on a Friday and got it back Wednesday. I was a little annoyed that you cant get a hold of anybody during business hours and have to leave a voicemail tho.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you ever had to deal with SMS?
They don't have a very good rep in the auto upholstery world. In fact, many trimmers will only order from them as a last resort, if at all. Myself included.
I once had to wait for 19 months for 5 hides of leather from them. Which had to be pre-paid for. At an exhorbitant price.
'Cape Buffalo' hides. Factory original leather for a '60 Buick Electra 225 Convertible. A vehicle owned by the owner of the largest GM dealership within 250 miles! A man well-schooled in how to get things done. His calls to SMS produced no results.
They are very good at offering up some pretty creative excuses.
"The raw hides are on a slow boat from Africa to the tannery in Australia."
7 months of 'slow'? Sent via a 2-man Kayak?
"The tannery is having trouble with the dye lot." Plausible. But this is being done at the same tannery that did the original run of hides for GM back in 1960! They did thousands of hides back then, now they're having problems with the process on 5? They fell back on that excuse for 9 months.
"They're stuck in Customs. Something to do with 'CITES' ((the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.)
Nope. Not on the list, and Customs officials would only need 5 minutes to figure that out. But SMS blamed that on another 3 month delay.
During this fiasco, I got so frustrated with this company, that I actually drove to their location to rattle their cage. 8 hours & 465 miles, one way.
That's just one episode I've endured with them.
My Dad's '52 Chevy required a year & multiple samples sent back & forth, which where ALL wrong. I needed a whole 4 yards! Of a material that allegedly according to them, is a fairly common fabric.
They NEVER answer the phone. Call them. Leave a message. They may return the call in a day...or a month. ...and when she does call back, she`s packin`attitude.
The voice on the phone is supposedly the daughter of the original owner of the Co., yet she has no idea of what is in her inventory.
"I'll have to go look for that." In a wharehouse that contains millions of yards of material.
Questions are met with scorn & disdain. Big attitude.
Apparently, there are no formal records, either physically written down, or on computer. I believe this to be called `The Open-Pit Filing System`.
When you ask for 'some' samples, they will bombard you with anything and everything within the color spectrum specified, whether it's right, wrong or even kinda-sorta remotely close.
They say that they actually manufacture original style materials. Have their own looms & related equipment. Want some? That'll take a year. Minimum.
They can't keep employees. They've had an ad for wharehouse help on a couple of upholstery forums for more than a few years. (Ten years on one, alone!) It'll disappear for a couple of months, & then re-appears. It`s run more often than not.
In 40+ years, I have never dealt with such a frustrating company.
I will never deal with SMS again.

Apologies for the rant. You hit a soft spot! Lol!

Companies like that drive me nuts! The problems start at the top because the people running (a company like that) are typically a bit lazy and unorganized. They make it seem like they work really hard and are stressed out, but it is typically all self induced. The entire organization tends to develop the same habits as their leaders.

Steve OConnor

Reaction score
Saw someone selling a truck on Facebook and the interior shot showed Garnett Red High Back Bucket Seats. I have a 1990 Chevy Sport with low back seats and would prefer the high back ones - common in the 454SS models of the day.

I posted a message to the owner asking him if he'd consider selling/swapping the seats. Offered him cash for his seats and my seats in exchange so he could sell his truck with something to sit in.

He asked me what I'd be willing to pay and I took a stab in the dark and said $225. I have no idea what they go for so I took a S.W.A.G. (stupid a$$ wild guess) off the cuff.

He seemed to consider it for a moment but then begged off.

So to the question, did I offer too much, or not enough? What are they worth - anyone care to share a thought?

Since I put it out there, if you're near NJ and have some to offer, I'm obviously interested.

Hey there
I read your post and thought I should give you some insight as to SS seats. The 1990s and 91 SS model had different seats than the ones in the 92 and 93s. The 90/91 had a much larger side bolster and held you in tighter than the 92 and 93 seat. These are a very unique seat. If you Google interiors for the 92 and 93 models you will see the standard SLE high back bucket with reduce side bolsters.
I am currently fighting cancer and my bucket list is my 91SS as in the pictures. I have my new ZZ502 deluxe at the machine shop as we speak and have racing buckets in my truck. As I have no idea about my future I am building my truck into what I want and will be staying with the racing buckets. With 600HP I feel they are a better alternative. So to yourself and everyone else I may have some nice and rare items coming up for sale. I have the original wheels with all brand new hubs and nut covers, the SS 91 buckets in garnet as that's the only color in 91 seat belts are also there. Aluminum water pump, 4150 Holley, 1.7 long slot stamped rockers and a set of valve covers from the 502s all items are brand new, and there may be more. I would like to see this stuff go to an SS lover, but I love all GMT400s so hey I'm sure you will all Understand. And what's with this OBS stuff Old Body Style? Who came up with that?. They should have called it the F'in SEXT BODY STYLE cause all the new trucks push more air than the old girls on the beach.

GMT 400 "There Can Be Only One"

Regards
Steve O

You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your health probs.
Mom's a 45+ year survivor after 2 bouts. She's coming up to 91 years old. It CAN be beat. Attitude is a big part, which you seem to have right.
Positive thoughts your way.

I refuse to use the the term OBS!

I'd be interested in the seats.
Fellow Canuck get any preference? Would that get my foot in the door? Lol!
I don't care about their condition.
Wet, bent, burnt, or broken.
Doesn't matter.
I have the technology to make 'em purdy again.

Last edited:

Steve OConnor

Reaction score
Mom's a 45+ year survivor after 2 bouts. She's coming up to 91 years old. It CAN be beat. Attitude is a big part, which you seem to have right.

Doesn't matter.

Hey there fellow Canuck
Good to hear about your mom
They are in really great shape of course 30 years old so a refresher never hurt.
Let's keep the Canuck thing quiet the US guys are still allowed some heavy artillery ..... lmao
I will send some pics of the seats, where are you located?
If you have buckets they will fit right on your risers. I have APC truck racing buckets and the cancer is in my back so I will be staying with my seats especially when this bad boy 502 hits lol.
I am also thinking about selling the original 454 which is also a strong runner it could be made to be a cannon as well.
We can chat
Regards
Steve O

Steve OConnor

Reaction score

Doesn't matter.

Oh and my bad nice ride !!!