What is it worth? Bucket Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevvan

Reaction score
Saw someone selling a truck on Facebook and the interior shot showed Garnett Red High Back Bucket Seats. I have a 1990 Chevy Sport with low back seats and would prefer the high back ones - common in the 454SS models of the day.

I posted a message to the owner asking him if he'd consider selling/swapping the seats. Offered him cash for his seats and my seats in exchange so he could sell his truck with something to sit in.

He asked me what I'd be willing to pay and I took a stab in the dark and said $225. I have no idea what they go for so I took a S.W.A.G. (stupid a$$ wild guess) off the cuff.

He seemed to consider it for a moment but then begged off.

So to the question, did I offer too much, or not enough? What are they worth - anyone care to share a thought?

Since I put it out there, if you're near NJ and have some to offer, I'm obviously interested.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The SS seats are very different than the regular factory buckets.

Factory OEM (common)
Fairly flat backrests & cushions, w/fold-down armrests. Different headrest shape.

You must be registered for see images attach

454SS. Large side bolsters. No armrests. Different upholstery patterning.

The SS seats more closely resemble ones from an Astro van. But they have armrests.

If they are real SS seats that he had, you were l-o-w ! Lol!
I've bought nice sets of 400 buckets, both low & high backs, for $150.00.
I've seen the SS ones go for much more.

Last edited:

kevvan

Reaction score
Sewlow. Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this and the information shared here is invaluable. I did not recognize that there was a difference between factory buckets and the real SS seats so thanks for that.

The vehicle he had was not an SS and based on your photos it had factory seats. The image below is what he posted. Now that I know that there is a difference I guess the quest got even harder in my mind. Since I have a Sport I think I would probably want to 'upgrade' what I have to the SS version to keep it in the family - rationalization I suppose and not sure if it makes any sense but it was my line of thinking.

I can probably live with what I have but I simply don't like the shape and support of the low back seats and would prefer something behind my head. I have time. I bought my truck now with intention of doing a frame off restoration quite a few years from now. I figured if I waited ten years then it would cost me 10K or more so I bought it now and will take care of it until it is time. In the mean time I'll continue to plan and seek things for the final job one bit at a time until I commit and do the job outright.

Appreciate the response and also incidentally the reference guide on interiors posted elsewhere. I studied it thoroughly. It is great resource in a pay it forward kind of way that everyone is willing to share and support newbies with oddball questions.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
are those astro seats with the armrests? do those bolt into our trucks without drilling new holes?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sewlow. Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this and the information shared here is invaluable. I did not recognize that there was a difference between factory buckets and the real SS seats so thanks for that.

The vehicle he had was not an SS and based on your photos it had factory seats. The image below is what he posted. Now that I know that there is a difference I guess the quest got even harder in my mind. Since I have a Sport I think I would probably want to 'upgrade' what I have to the SS version to keep it in the family - rationalization I suppose and not sure if it makes any sense but it was my line of thinking.

I can probably live with what I have but I simply don't like the shape and support of the low back seats and would prefer something behind my head. I have time. I bought my truck now with intention of doing a frame off restoration quite a few years from now. I figured if I waited ten years then it would cost me 10K or more so I bought it now and will take care of it until it is time. In the mean time I'll continue to plan and seek things for the final job one bit at a time until I commit and do the job outright.

Appreciate the response and also incidentally the reference guide on interiors posted elsewhere. I studied it thoroughly. It is great resource in a pay it forward kind of way that everyone is willing to share and support newbies with oddball questions.

Hey, you're welcome!
The SS seats are few & far between. In the States.
Most of the people selling them know what they are & their limited production run reflects the prices.
I'd love to have a set too. (...and, of course, the 14b 5x5 diff!) A set of ripped & shredded trashed ones. The worst seats in the yard. Hell, I'd pay for the ones that the JYD has been sleeping on for 10 years. A pair of bare frames! Don't care! I have the technology to make 'em right again.
But...Canada. Hen's teeth, here. There were probably more 454SS trucks sold in just California than the whole of this country.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
are those astro seats with the armrests? do those bolt into our trucks without drilling new holes?

They'll bolt to the 400's seat risers.
But...
Many of them do not recline. There are a few that do, key word being 'few'.
It's been a while since I've had a set apart, but it may be possible to mod the seats so that they do recline with a mechanism from another GM seat.
Could be as simple as drilling a couple or 4 holes, or it could require some serious slicing & dicing + some welding. Wouldn't know till I attempted that.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the original SS seats with mine, they were sitting in the guys backyard cause he put something else in the truck. I am having them redone but with a different fabric/vinyl combo, I had no idea they were so cherished.If I can figure out how to post a photo I'll do it when I get them back, I'll try anyways
Bobby V

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I got the original SS seats with mine, they were sitting in the guys backyard cause he put something else in the truck. I am having them redone but with a different fabric/vinyl combo, I had no idea they were so cherished.If I can figure out how to post a photo I'll do it when I get them back, I'll try anyways
Bobby V

I'd like to see them done, too.

Burkus

Reaction score
Hey Guys "Newbie" here, not to the truck. I hate to dig up an old post but was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of seat covers for these seats. By the way they are the seat you have if you can find them. I have grey seats not that it matters, not the garnet red everyone knows about and can't find any info about covers. I only find low back covers. Got alot of miles with my butt in that seat and they look it. Can one seat be reupholstered to match the original?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The factory material is virtually non-existant.
GM held the design patent on it & the only way to get the roll-stock was through them, exclusively.
...and due to so many fingers being in that pie between the manufacturer & GM, the price was stupid expensive. Like $90.00+/yard for a material that's actually (realistically) worth $35/yd.
Only way to find some is if some upholstery shop happens to have some left-over from a previous job. Not very likely, as due to that crazy price, most upholstery guys are going to estimate their yardage needs very closely.
There are some other materials that are close. The right color can be found, but with the wrong loft & weave.
Getting both seats recovered would be the only way to get them to match.