What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen sketchier **** running 75 down the interstate; ever seen a Mexico bound car train? Typically 3 to 4 cars being flat towed behind each other.
I hate that those U-Haul trailers are designed to not fit anything larger than a car.

Pff, you missed the guy on here that shoehorned a Suburban onto one. F the man.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
With my poorly designed trailer any weight near the tail of the trailer is not good, and weight past the tail is bad. It's a 23 foot bed, so even a suburban would not overhang.
It's partly my fault, I didn't think to measure where the axles are in trailer proportion. I just was looking at overall appearance and deck board quality and talked him into a discount for worn tires.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have an old home made boat trailer that was then converted into a utility trailer... the axle is WAY too far forward. It needs to be loaded very carefully so it doesn't fishtail. One day I was helping my sister's family move and we started loading the trailer and I figured I'd rearrange things later.... then didn't. Got going down the highway and it was fishtailing ALL OVER THE PLACE. I'm pulling it with my 1-ton, so it's not a huge deal, but it sure was funny watching people a mile back changing lanes, probably muttering "H*** No" :)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I dragged my Crown Victoria here to CO from CA in the 1500 open deck with a 350 in the trunk, back seat of the truck full of crap, and the bed loaded down when it had stock axle and leaf packs. Needless to say it was a handful. Eventually I got over the sway as it wasn't life threatening and, when I got bored on the drive, would jerk the wheel to induce trailer sway and freak out other drivers. Good times.

Devin Taylor

Reaction score
Just pulled the new trailer home. 16 footer with a tongue tool box, two spares wheels, and a removable driver side fender. Stated weight is 1180lbs. Should tow a hell of a lot nicer than the ~30 year old steel trailer I was borrowing. Between the weight and not having a tire rack it should be so much better pulling through upstate New York and the Virginias.

You must be registered for see images

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So not gonna have a tire rack on this one? Trailer's so much lighter it'd seem like all the more reason to not get rid of it unless you really don't need it.

Devin Taylor

Reaction score
I hated having the tire rack. It was really noticeable for fuel economy. The only reason I didn't stuff tires inside the car with the last trailer was because it didn't have a removable fender. I had to crawl in/out through the hatch which meant I couldn't fill the back seat with tires. This way I should be able to fit all tools in the trunk of the car, 4 loose tires inside, 4 rain wheels/tires in the truck bed, as well as the cooler, tent, bycicle, etc etc all in the bed of the truck. There is really no need at all for the tire rack.

I was getting about 13mpg without tires on the rack and 11.5 or so with them up there at 75mph. Makes a big difference on a 1700 mile trip.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I feel you, fuel is the main thing that prevents me from doing more out of region. 1mpg is huge, especially when you figure that the dually with camper and enclosed pulls 5.5 mpg.