What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Details???? I've got a bit of a soft spot for those old G-bodys, my dad and uncles turned many into dirt cars

Rusty shjtbox that belonged to my dad. Has a Goodwrench 454 (Gen VI bottom end, GenV heads, MarkIV intake, 800 cfm q-jet, small cam, headers), TH400, Ford 9", aftermarket suspension arms, and a lot of halfassery. I've been working on unghetto rigging the thing as the drivetrain is all good, low mileage stuff. Needs more cam and a better breathing top end for sure. Probably gonna get some Vortec heads tossed on with a better intake and more cam to keep it cheapish.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trip was less than 2 miles and less than 25 mph. It was impossible to load front ways being disabled and in a crowded parking lot, at night by myself. I reloaded it at the lake before I took it home.
I had to load one like that too. However being a suburban it was better distributed than a truck. Never got over 40 mph on the back roads. I had to back a FWD car on also once pulling it home with my 03 Dakota. The engine and front wheels ended up over the axles of the trailer. Getting the right load distribution can be tricky, but makes the towing seemless.

Sketchiest tow was my 83 G20 being pulled by the 2011 Pathfinder. The Pathfinder had plenty of power, just its narrow, shorter wheel base and even though the van plus trailer was under its weight limit it was sketchy. I rolled along the back roads at 45 mph for 60 miles.

I bought this one for $500 a few years back. Rotted frame, trashed interior, and would turn over but not start. Ended up using the parts to put 3-4 other trucks and SUVs back on the road.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had to load one like that too. However being a suburban it was better distributed than a truck. Never got over 40 mph on the back roads. I had to back a FWD car on also once pulling it home with my 03 Dakota. The engine and front wheels ended up over the axles of the trailer. Getting the right load distribution can be tricky, but makes the towing seemless.

Sketchiest tow was my 83 G20 being pulled by the 2011 Pathfinder. The Pathfinder had plenty of power, just its narrow, shorter wheel base and even though the van plus trailer was under its weight limit it was sketchy. I rolled along the back roads at 45 mph for 60 miles.

I bought this one for $500 a few years back. Rotted frame, trashed interior, and would turn over but not start. Ended up using the parts to put 3-4 other trucks and SUVs back on the road.

If you would have told me you can fit a Suburban on a U-Haul trailer, I'd have said you were full of it. Impressive.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Rusty shjtbox that belonged to my dad. Has a Goodwrench 454 (Gen VI bottom end, GenV heads, MarkIV intake, 800 cfm q-jet, small cam, headers), TH400, Ford 9", aftermarket suspension arms, and a lot of halfassery. I've been working on unghetto rigging the thing as the drivetrain is all good, low mileage stuff. Needs more cam and a better breathing top end for sure. Probably gonna get some Vortec heads tossed on with a better intake and more cam to keep it cheapish.
If it was mine I would keep that decklid spoiler, those are fairly rare for those era Monte's. Sounds like it oughta be a good runner with a 454!
Ours was reasonably sprightly with the stock 267 V8. Dad was going to order one with the 305 and the F41 sport suspension, all the good stuff, but it would have taken a while to get that car. And the Chevy dealer in Sugar Land then(1980) cut us a deal on the '81 that was very early production, that was two tone pewter and metallic brown, optioned nicely, so that's the car we got. Mom saw it on their lot, probably before they were officially out, and fell in love with it. A year and a couple months later, she brought my brother home in it, when he was three days old. Unfortunately we had to sell it several years ago....but it was a pretty car and a nice enjoyable car, so I do remember it fondly.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was mine I would keep that decklid spoiler, those are fairly rare for those era Monte's. Sounds like it oughta be a good runner with a 454!
Ours was reasonably sprightly with the stock 267 V8. Dad was going to order one with the 305 and the F41 sport suspension, all the good stuff, but it would have taken a while to get that car. And the Chevy dealer in Sugar Land then(1980) cut us a deal on the '81 that was very early production, that was two tone pewter and metallic brown, optioned nicely, so that's the car we got. Mom saw it on their lot, probably before they were officially out, and fell in love with it. A year and a couple months later, she brought my brother home in it, when he was three days old. Unfortunately we had to sell it several years ago....but it was a pretty car and a nice enjoyable car, so I do remember it fondly.
My great grandmother had a ~78 Cutlass that I still remember. It was Blue on Blue with a Blue top. 350 4bbl Olds and a TH350. She would pass you with the foot in the secondaries at 80+ years old. After my great grandmother could no longer drive it sat behind the Inn that my great uncle owned in the small Texas town of Crowell. To this day I do not know what happened to that car. I wanted it as a kid. I had another great aunt that had an 84 Cutlass in TN. It had a V6 and loads of miles but it was a great driving car

When I was last up in Crowell I saw this. Still had a Flathead with dual exhaust. Looked to be mildly hopped up flathead too. Needed alot of work but would have been really cool to save and make it pump again.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My great grandmother had a ~78 Cutlass that I still remember. It was Blue on Blue with a Blue top. 350 4bbl Olds and a TH350. She would pass you with the foot in the secondaries at 80+ years old. After my great grandmother could no longer drive it sat behind the Inn that my great uncle owned in the small Texas town of Crowell. To this day I do not know what happened to that car. I wanted it as a kid. I had another great aunt that had an 84 Cutlass in TN. It had a V6 and loads of miles but it was a great driving car
I saw a similar Cutlass the other day, really well preserved. And a 78-80 Regal coupe this morning on the way to work. Those G bodies are out there; I wonder if many of them are grandma/grandpa fresh, where they're not around or don't drive anymore, but someone in the family needs a car so they get used again.