What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my truck hasn't really towed anything except the empty trailer a couple times.

But the trailer has had the absolute piss worked out of it the past month, a couple co-workers borrowed it, one to get a parts Camaro, one to go down to South Carolina to pick up a boat and trailer, and this past weekend me and a couple friends hauled a John Deere tractor on it behind a friend's dump truck.
Once I get this damn fuel pressure issue fixed I hope and swear I'll actually tow MY trailer with MY truck!

Haha thats always how it is. You've got something and everyone wants to borrow it or your help

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha thats always how it is. You've got something and everyone wants to borrow it or your help

I'm willing to let my friends borrow it because I know that it won't get beat on, they'd absolutely trash their own stuff before they'd damage anyone else's. We're all the same way so I'm not worried about it.

Besides, I tell them all the first one is free; after that they need to pay me U-Haul rates.
You must be registered for see images attach

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Went and picked up a non running non driving K20 so I could make a truck bed trailer out of it. Sold every usable part and scrapping the rest tomorrow.

and in scrap form loaded up:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My younger sister's car **** the crank pulley/balancer; made two out of one so she was stranded on her way to work, so I had to bring her in, then run and get my trailer so I could bring the car to the mechanic's shop.

Truck did just fine once I got moving, getting started was a bear and there was a couple hills where I lost a good amount of speed just getting up them.
Needs air bags, more fuel, and more tuning.

Also discovered the plate has been torn off the trailer and is flat out gone. So that's cool.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe shoulda backed that thing on? Looks like you couldn't have put it too much farther back. I think your truck is pitched worse than my 1500 with enclosed hauler out back. Have you considered a WD hitch? You're not scared of loading that thing down. Once you experience it, it is a world of difference.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe shoulda backed that thing on? Looks like you couldn't have put it too much farther back. I think your truck is pitched worse than my 1500 with enclosed hauler out back. Have you considered a WD hitch? You're not scared of loading that thing down. Once you experience it, it is a world of difference.

The ramps are an absolute ***** on this trailer, I need to get them cut into slide ins. I was prepared to take them off but my dad said to not bother so I said **** it; and the angles are a bit deceiving, there was still quite a bit of room on the front of the trailer.
I'm kind of regretting not going bigger, I think a 22 foot dovetail may be a suitable replacement for this thing.
Partly the reason it sags so much is I think the leaf springs are pooched, this truck spent most of it's life hauling big 5th wheels and other heavy ****.
I have toyed with a WD hitch but I'm still not entirely sure; at least as far as my open deck goes, in the future when I have a big enclosed or a camper to pull I'm coughing up for a Blue Ox WD hitch.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
This was about 4 years ago, before I got my two K1500s. I finally got around to towing my 1991 S10 to my house. It had been sitting at my uncles house for a few years. My S10 is longer than it looks, it barely fits on my uncle's 16' trailer.

And no, the trailer is not connected to the truck. I think I was doing something to the hitch or fixing the wiring or something like that...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The ramps are an absolute ***** on this trailer, I need to get them cut into slide ins. I was prepared to take them off but my dad said to not bother so I said **** it; and the angles are a bit deceiving, there was still quite a bit of room on the front of the trailer.
I'm kind of regretting not going bigger, I think a 22 foot dovetail may be a suitable replacement for this thing.
Partly the reason it sags so much is I think the leaf springs are pooched, this truck spent most of it's life hauling big 5th wheels and other heavy ****.
I have toyed with a WD hitch but I'm still not entirely sure; at least as far as my open deck goes, in the future when I have a big enclosed or a camper to pull I'm coughing up for a Blue Ox WD hitch.

Your fender heights were about the same as mine from what I recall, your springs may not be as hammered as you think. It's easy to have lots of tongue weight.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score

Picked this up for my oldest son. Needs the engine rebuilt/replaced (4.7L dropped valve seat), rust repair (but not bad for an ‘03), and repaint. For some reason he really likes the look of the Dodges. [emoji849] The price was right so I said okay. He’s got a little over a year to get it on the road by the time he’s old enough to drive.

My truck towed it like a dream. Plenty of tug and cruised down the highway in OD at 65mph at times, never even broke a sweat. (In all fairness it was flat NJ roads). Roughly 8000lbs total trailer weight, 9mpg.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@BNielsen Look at how Andy's truck sits flatter than yours with a heavier load. The difference isn't out back, it's up front. That longer wheelbase makes it a lot harder for tongue weight to hike the front of the truck up. This is where WD makes all the difference. I went from open deck non wd to enclosed with wd, gained a lot of trailer weight, and the truck sat flatter than it did open deck. Reason being I had a ramp situation just like you that pushed the car too far forward. I'm not saying you need to go wd because what you did does not look unsafe, but I am promising you you'll like the difference in the way it drives. I was a bit skeptical myself until I tried it. It won't make you less of a man, I promise.