What have you towed lately

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my Go-Get_Mobile actually doing truck stuff, drove it about 84 miles round trip to get some wood. Ran cool and kept me cool in 100*+. With a little load the trailer is tilting more than I like - need to raise the adjustable tongue a tad...

Unloaded
You must be registered for see images attach

Loaded - note, my C1500 has 4/1 heavy 1/2T (C2500 LD) springs.

Edit - Although I do like the stance of the truck in the bottom picture better, ha ha.

Last edited:

Ben Burrage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to see how the new long tubes & tune performs. Coming home dry she hauled ass! Had two thumbs up from other Chevy guys!

I have a 97 K1500 that looks very much like yours. What upgrades have you done to yours for towing? I am looking to maximize mine to haul a camper and a boat..

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think a Vortec 350 would be easier to swap in.

A crate 350 with the 395 Marine Cam, 1.6 rockers and a good black box tune would be an animal of a set up for your truck

So I’ve been considering this option since posting. I’ve been out of the truck game for over 12 years and only recently reentered it with my 97 WT1500. My wife says my truck is worn out and I should get a newer one, but it has only 140,000 miles and no rust.

About how much would it cost for a stock 350 crate motor? And how much for one with a bit more torque? I’m thinking a stock motor would be fine, but I can never have too much power ;) I have plenty of parts available at the pick n pulls around here.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Your cheapest option would be going to j/y and getting a Vortec 350. Check www.car-part.com/ for used engine prices and the place to get them. Maybe get the transmission too? I am not sure on that, someone else might want to chime in about that, I have not swapped an engine from a 4.3 to a 5.7.

Though, here's a new crate motor if you would rather do that: https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12691673.html

If you get either a j/y engine or a crate engine, you will need to get the computer as well, most j/y's around me charge about $40 or so for one, fairly cheap.

Edit: Or you could check out a 383 Stroker, I believe those have more power and torque vs a Vortec 350, and I think they will work with a stock 350 computer, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

92_Bahama

Reaction score
So I’ve been considering this option since posting. I’ve been out of the truck game for over 12 years and only recently reentered it with my 97 WT1500. My wife says my truck is worn out and I should get a newer one, but it has only 140,000 miles and no rust.

About how much would it cost for a stock 350 crate motor? And how much for one with a bit more torque? I’m thinking a stock motor would be fine, but I can never have too much power ;) I have plenty of parts available at the pick n pulls around here.

You buy a factory short block for around $1500 with a warranty however I would just take it to a machine shop and put $1500 into her that way. Did your old SBC go the way of the dodo bird?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First time i ever towed with the truck and it didn’t even tell it was pulling.

With a 350 to boot! I need to get my truck dialed in so I can tow confidently.
You have 4.10s don't you?

You jerk, you found an 8 lug ECSB and I didn't.
Funny story about his truck, I was going to go check it out for my brother and I even sent it to another member who was looking for southern trucks

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You jerk, you found an 8 lug ECSB and I didn't.
There’s a couple of them around here. Sometimes i wish i had a crew cab though.
With a 350 to boot! I need to get my truck dialed in so I can tow confidently.
You have 4.10s don't you?

Funny story about his truck, I was going to go check it out for my brother and I even sent it to another member who was looking for southern trucks
Yes i have 4.10s i love them. The only downside to them is 60mph is 2000 rpm and she’s a gas hog in general. I will say though it does pretty good on highways i drove about 3 hours total one day from a gas station to chapel hill and back to the gas station and only put $18 in gas and that’s when gas was high! Now in town, I struggle to get 13mpg. Really? I bought this truck back in 2016, the rims were plasti dipped black then but that had to go i hated it. Chrome looks way better but I’m gonna get some new polished bullet holes sometime before too long.