What GMT400 parts are unobtainable in 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At what year do they be come classics? Was just talking to a buddy last night who was talking ****; told him these trucks will be the next Chevrolet imho. An abundance now, but not for long :( trying to get her built before extinction!

Might be over exaggerating, but like you said, nearly classics.

Really I think because there's so many of them built, they'll be a classic, but a classic that's easier to obtain than a 67-72 Chevy.
But I hear you on trying to get it perfected before they get to that point; I've been working on mine for two years and I've still got a ways to go.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I think these trucks are already classics, since there were so many of them made and it's also a very attractive body style. GM got it right with these trucks, even thought there are flaws, they still made a pretty damn good truck that will last a long time.

Parts are still pretty obtainable for these trucks as far as I know. The only things that are rare or can't find is the fads that people did back when these trucks were new. I like that stuff that they did in the 90s, so it's hard to for me find that type of stuff at the j/y, but most of the time I usually find what I am after, unless the buzzards picked them clean.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I think these trucks are already classics, since there were so many of them made and it's also a very attractive body style. GM got it right with these trucks, even thought there are flaws, they still made a pretty damn good truck that will last a long time.

These trucks were revolutionary when they were new in 1988.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
There's still way too many of these trucks on the road though. They're built too well lol. It'll be a while before they become real classics

In MS it only has to be 25 years old and you get antique plates and you don't have to buy one again. No other regulations behind it.

Hartwell

Reaction score
I bought myself a ‘94 GMC k2500 4x4 with a 454 and I absolutely love it. The thing was absolutely mint besides it could use some paint and the headliner likes to sag in the cooler temps. I prefer the 88-94 interiors just because they carry a more retro 90s look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's just part of the fun of owning older vehicles. :lol: I wouldn't call it an unreasonable goal. Challenging sometimes, though.

Off the top of my head... Brake proportioning valves, thermal 4WD actuators (ACDelco makes the newer electronic style but no longer makes a thermal, other companies do though), lots of various trim pieces and emblems, leather wrapped steering wheels, dashes, certain switches, auto dimming rear view mirror replacement glass, a few automatic transmission lines...

I'm sure I'll think of some other stuff as soon as I post this. Others will surely chime in as well.

I was never real keen on the thermal actuators even when they were new. The electronic style works and works well.
It's kinda like the 73-80 cable and solenoid valve dual tank systems that were temperamental and difficult to source parts for vs the 81-91 motorized valve setups that are easy to swap into the earlier trucks.

Windshields are all chinese now? Crap I could really use a new one.

I just put in some glass and found it to be passable. From the ground outside the Driver side door I can see some ripples an inch or two from the RH A pillar but I can't see the same issue from the driver seat. It's passable for a daily driver. Certainly very clear and far better than the 20 year old sandblasted and cratered glass that was in her before but really not up to OEM GM standards.
If you want a real adventure... Try getting aftermarket mirrors that don't have funhouse glass...