What GMT400 parts are unobtainable in 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Lee

Reaction score
I think all the surplus NIB 6.5 & 6.2 blocks are all gone :( even when the surplus ones were still available they were astronomically priced compared to 350/454 blocks.

A motor I'm very fond of but I understand many people are not fond of lol.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think all the surplus NIB 6.5 & 6.2 blocks are all gone :( even when the surplus ones were still available they were astronomically priced compared to 350/454 blocks.

A motor I'm very fond of but I understand many people are not fond of lol.

I know the P400 casted 6.5s are gone, but some googling shows Leroy still offers the Optimizer 6.5L.

Even though I've got a 454, I'd love to own a 6.5 just for the sake of saying I owned one,

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New GM built steering gear boxes do not exist.......

The transmission hard line to the radiator cooler is nowhere to be found--but it's easy to have one made.

The plastic bracket that holds the heater hoses and AC condenser line is apparently a one year style (1996 and early 97). Later years were different and don't fit as well.

GoWest

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has replied! It’s giving me a good idea of what to expect should I find my perfect Suburban.
It’s too bad GM doesn’t support older vehicles. Nissan, Land Rover and Mercedes Benz all have new parts available for many of their iconic vehicles. I guess to GM these trucks are just appliances and it’s not worth keeping them going, they’d rather sell new trucks.

BlueCollar89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
At what year do they be come classics? Was just talking to a buddy last night who was talking ****; told him these trucks will be the next Chevrolet imho. An abundance now, but not for long :( trying to get her built before extinction!

Might be over exaggerating, but like you said, nearly classics.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At what year do they be come classics? Was just talking to a buddy last night who was talking ****; told him these trucks will be the next Chevrolet imho. An abundance now, but not for long :( trying to get her built before extinction!

Might be over exaggerating, but like you said, nearly classics.

Varies by state I think, but here it's 25 years from the date of production. So my '97s will be eligible for classic vehicle plates and insurance in 2022. Which brings a hefty reduction in insurance premiums, exemption from future state safety inspections, and some other cool benefits. Only real downside here is that there's a 3500 mile per year limit to maintain that type of insurance policy. Not an issue for me as I typically put a little less than 3000 per year on each truck. Once again the rules and regulations vary by state and insurance provider I believe, some are more strict than others with specific guidelines on how you're allowed to use the vehicle.