What did I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I used 4-lo to climb the curb while parking the truck awhile back, and I left it in 4-lo. Yesterday, I backed it out into the road with an extremely low front tire. I didn't realize it was in 4-lo until it was binding badly, and had trouble getting it out of 4wd. Later in the day, I noticed a slight whine in 2-hi, and in 4-hi it is loud unless under acceleration. The sound in 2-HI could be something else, but the sound in 4-HI is either the transfercase of maybe the front axle.

Any idea on what broke? I have the Borg Warner transfercase, since it's a 1-ton. Will it get worse if I don't engage 4wd? I've never been inside a transfercase, or front axle.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Honestly, they're pretty bullet-proof until something really bad happens then they're usually un-fixable. The chain snaps and the cases crack 90% of the time. Then you just replace it with a junkyard unit and remember to not do what caused the failure again.

Thats just my personal insight from experience though. I've never tried to repair one before as they are a dime a dozen. I've gotten one thrown into a deal once because he didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 90 F250 Diesel that had a Borg Warner transfer case. From what I remember the chain will get loose with wear and break off the oiling tube then it would burn up the gears. Between that and wasting the E4OD trans (never tow a trailer in OD) it got to be a pretty expensive truck to run.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Honestly, they're pretty bullet-proof until something really bad happens then they're usually un-fixable. The chain snaps and the cases crack 90% of the time. Then you just replace it with a junkyard unit and remember to not do what caused the failure again.

Interesting that you mention the case cracking. The original t-case was replaced under warranty when the truck was new, and I was told the case had cracked by the dealer that did the work.