What determines lift on a Solid Axle Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vader999

Reaction score
Hey, new to the forum and recently picked up a 96' K1500 Silverado. Interested in doing a solid axle swap to have Dana 60s in the front and rear. I'm just a bit confused with what determines overall ride height once the swap is done. I want to be able to run 40-42" tires so I've estimated that I need at least 12-14" of lift. How would I go about achieving that height with a Dana 60 replacing both the front and rear axles? I'm coming from the car world so I'm not entirely familiar with any truck terms (I'm kind of a noob in the truck world) I don't want leaf springs in the front, only mentioning that because I read that somewhere. I intend on towing with the truck, not heavily but maybe once or twice a month (if that changes anything). Thanks!

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought you couldn't altar the suspension in NJ? I ran about 10-12" of lift with 40" boggers, on a 1 ton. 1 tons sit higher than a 1/2 ton, so with the 3" of lift with the brackets and whatever springs you use, it will be higher. When I first did my 89 it had 12" springs and towered over 40s. I put 4" junkyard springs in it and ran 36" swampers and was perfect. It rode pretty good, flexed as good as junkyard springs could. Final stage was 8" springs from BDS and cutout flares, running the 40" boggers. Nothing wrong with leave springs, it's easier and a hell of alot cheaper than coils, depending what coils. Alot more involved. I'm planning on SAS's my Yukon using springs. Search my name, I have pics somewhere. And i wouldnt recomment towing, your gonna need one hell of a drop hitch.

Vader999

Reaction score
Thought you couldn't altar the suspension in NJ? I ran about 10-12" of lift with 40" boggers, on a 1 ton. 1 tons sit higher than a 1/2 ton, so with the 3" of lift with the brackets and whatever springs you use, it will be higher. When I first did my 89 it had 12" springs and towered over 40s. I put 4" junkyard springs in it and ran 36" swampers and was perfect. It rode pretty good, flexed as good as junkyard springs could. Final stage was 8" springs from BDS and cutout flares, running the 40" boggers. Nothing wrong with leave springs, it's easier and a hell of alot cheaper than coils, depending what coils. Alot more involved. I'm planning on SAS's my Yukon using springs. Search my name, I have pics somewhere. And i wouldnt recomment towing, your gonna need one hell of a drop hitch.
You think the 8” springs would be able to clear 42s? I’ll be getting a drop hitch from Bulletproof hitches, they make drop hitches for significantly lifted trucks. Also NJ doesn’t care about lifts if that’s what you’re asking, I’ve seen pretty tall trucks here (the height of semis) roam around lol. But tbh NJ doesn’t really care about vehicle mods in the first place. Pretty loose state.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Why not leaf sprung? I mean I have a 3 link with coil springs but leaf springs are great and practically bolt in with a kit from ORD. I think they had or someone else had a link kit as well in the works but at the time I did mine all the brackets had to be custom made I had to pay for someone to make my links and weld the mounts as at the time I had no idea about suspension geometry. with leaf springs its pretty easy to set up. with a linked suspension even a 4 link you can find yourself having some serious bind up issues if not ran accordingly. with a proper linked setup it will cost you more.

I lived in NJ for 10 years I know they have a bumper law I believe like 16-18 inches and you can't run front lift blocks.... which the second part should be a no brainer.

As for the question on ride height with a coil spring. my truck sits around 8 inches total lift with 2.5 Fox Coil over and I think its a 12 inch spring rate. Ill be stepping up to the 14 inch rate when I blow these out as I got about 3 inches of clearance in the wheel well before its tucked and 2 1/2 before I hit the link.

You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t think 8” would be enough. But they are skinnier than the 40s on mine. 2nd pic is next to my old truck which is stock height with 285s.

Attachments

• 150C3BC9-C1AD-4475-9881-FBC0908DFCDB.jpeg
    150C3BC9-C1AD-4475-9881-FBC0908DFCDB.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 50A56C40-FABD-454D-999E-3D7734288781.jpeg
    50A56C40-FABD-454D-999E-3D7734288781.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 12