What cam and timing chain should i use in my 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 1995 gmc sierra needs a new timing chain so i figure i may as well put a new cam in as well since ill be there. Idealy id still like to be able to run ac, but id like a bit more low end torque. Something to kick you back in the seat when you step on it. Id also like a realy high quality timeing chain. What do you all suggesst.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I've had great service from Cloyes double roller chains and gears on my 350s. Never re cammed one though so no recommendations there!

Reaction score
Thanks, i was looking at those and i thought they looked pretty nice, im not 100% sure wich one i would pick depending on what cam i decided in because i havent either lol

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double roller chains became a thing because fifty-plus years ago timing chains were crap. The nylon-covered GM chains were a bad aberration, but modern link chains are stronger and lighter than double rollers. Double rollers have a slight advantage in friction reduction.

I like the Cloyes 3059K; it has wider teeth (.40 vs .25 for most) and it's only $20 on RockAuto. If you need three-way adjustment, the Melling 40500 has .35 teeth and is $45. With either Cloyes or Melling you can't go wrong.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Double roller chains became a thing because fifty-plus years ago timing chains were crap. The nylon-covered GM chains were a bad aberration, but modern link chains are stronger and lighter than double rollers. Double rollers have a slight advantage in friction reduction.

I like the Cloyes 3059K; it has wider teeth (.40 vs .25 for most) and it's only $20 on RockAuto. If you need three-way adjustment, the Melling 40500 has .35 teeth and is $45. With either Cloyes or Melling you can't go wrong.
I forget how inexpensive timing chains are. I know it isn't a complex part in how it's made, but you'd think they'd charge more for such an important part. Lol

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget how inexpensive timing chains are. I know it isn't a complex part in how it's made, but you'd think they'd charge more for such an important part. Lol

At the end of the day it's just a roller chain. You really don't even need to buy a timing chain per se, I've cut my own chain before and it's worked great, but with the price it's not really worth it.