What are your favorite car trailer accessories?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought a 12k 20' car/equipment trailer. I plan to add a reciever mount for a winch and possibly an electric hitch. I need to equip the trailer with easy to use straps or chains capable of handling a crew cab, dually on the deck. I need it so simple that my wife can load and strap by herself. From tie downs to lights what are your favorite accessories?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
My grandpa threw an electric tounge jack on his car hauler trailer and thats by far the handiest thing ive ever toyed with. If i were outfitting a car trailer the way i wanted, id do that, winch, some LED lights between the fenders, some bright LED reverse lights, and a diamond plate toolbox on the tounge. As for straps we have the 2” or 3” wide 10k J hook ratchet straps from TSC and havnt broken one yet. Theyre kind of expensive but worth it.

I wouldnt mount a light bar facing rearward. My buddy did that with his buggy hauler and it just blinds him lol

Also put D rings everywhere lol. You can never have to many

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely considering an electric winch. I just found out about D rings that go in the stake pockets.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Definitely considering an electric winch. I just found out about D rings that go in the stake pockets.
Yea those things are handy. Seeing what youve drug home already, id highly suggest a winch lol. I put a jeep on a trailer with a come along once and it wasnt a fun time

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A free truck toolbox so the straps and **** can stay with the trailer (I got lucky). I also made a blast shield by bolting some OSB to the front of the toolbox to protect what I towed and bolted 2x4s down to the deck to stop the car in the same spot every time.

You must be registered for see images attach

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely the electric Jack, theres plenty of time I wish I had one. 2 spares, I've seen alot of people with both tires flat on one side. I havent used them but the company I work for has a couple trailers with the E-Track system an they seem to hold up pretty well. Low pro tool box, additional backup lights. I like having a d-ring on the back to run a snatch block with my winch.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A couple of things that I've found that I'll definitely be doing. Stabilizer jacks at the back, led loading lights, crank down spare tire mount (I have a Tahoe and a C1500 for parts) and the storage boxes below.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely the electric Jack, theres plenty of time I wish I had one. 2 spares, I've seen alot of people with both tires flat on one side. I havent used them but the company I work for has a couple trailers with the E-Track system an they seem to hold up pretty well. Low pro tool box, additional backup lights. I like having a d-ring on the back to run a snatch block with my winch.
I'll be doing 2 spares for sure. I can't seem to find a weight rating on the E track.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
- Electric tongue jack is the BOMB!!! Love it.
- Also, an electric winch. I use a portable 4500 lb Superwinch unit that shows in it's own plastic storage case with snatch block, gloves, cable, etc.
- Tongue box for storage of said winch, straps, axle straps, bungees, trailer wheel jack, lug wrench, tow chain, led work light, etc.....
- I added a 5-quarter deck board side rail on the first 6-8 foot of the trailer with slots made of 2x2s to hold a divider board to secure various things lying on the trailer floor. I.E. RallyCross spares, pancake air tank, race gear, etc.
- LED back up lights will be a future addition .... already performed that task on the utility trailer.

ninjakris

Reaction score
I have a 18' aluminum open trailer I use for my racecar. A toolbox of some sort is a must. Mine is mounted on the tongue. Inside, I have a lock that goes into the hitch, a thick cable and padlock for going through the wheels, 2X rubber wheel chalks, 4x heavy duty ratchet straps, 4x lightweight ratchet straps, 2x large blocks of wood, pair of gloves, and a 4-way tire iron. I also throw my Ryobi tire inflator in there before a trip. Beyond that, I have one spare and 7' ramps that allow even the lowest cars to load up. Next for me is a winch of some sort and possibly e-track, but the D-rings work fine for now.

Here's the straps I use for securing down my car. So far so good.
https://www.amazon.com/Vulcan-Classic-Yellow-Exotic-ratchets/dp/B00A7YJ59G

Pro-tip: get some heavy duty velcro. You will have loose ends on basically all straps. Using velcro to secure them down from flapping all over the place is way more easier than tape or getting creative with tying the straps.