What are my a/c alternatives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a 93 stepside. Was going to have the system checked at local shop mechanic said he couldn't do it. It is r12. What are my alternatives here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Convert system to 134. R12 is not produced and those that still have it think they have gold. Go to a shop that specializes in A/C and have the conversion done. Not as big a deal as some would have you believe.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the process What do they change out? Can I do this myself?

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the process What do they change out? Can I do this myself?

No, this needs to be done by a licensed shop. The R12 needs to be evacuated from the system before the conversion is done. However, recharging the R134a is something you can do. Did mine just tonight.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the system had a leak and has no R12 left in it there is no need to go to a shop to have it sucked out. System just needs to be flushed, new fittings installed, proper PAG oil installed. Also invest in the following if you want the system to actually last: New condenser, new compressor and new low pressure switch(cycling switch) and accumulator. Also would replace any and all seals that you possibly can.

You will need a vacuum pump and gauges to do the charging halfway right. If you don't have those AND know how to use them then I would advise against doing the charging yourself. Back when R12 was still very common I fixed a few cars that way; I fixed whatever was actually wrong with the system and had the shop evacuate and charge. The actual labor for that should not be much and R134 is around $10/lb.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone has done the R134 conversion it would be really handy if you could provide part numbers etc (condensor/compressor/accumulator...) and any info for the rest of us wanting to swap our trucks over. Also would be good to make an R134 thread a sticky. I bet there is a lot of us out there with no a/c

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone has done the R134 conversion it would be really handy if you could provide part numbers etc (condensor/compressor/accumulator...) and any info for the rest of us wanting to swap our trucks over. Also would be good to make an R134 thread a sticky. I bet there is a lot of us out there with no a/c

Yes, there are a lot of random AC threads but no real go-to sort of 'do it this way' that most agree on. Would be great to get a sticky as Tiny Trucker posted. I am on the fence about what to do myself. See the thread I started here...
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/new-ac-install.38384/

Until I posted that I did not know that we could simply buy the '94 and up AC parts and we would could use 134A with the correct condenser, hoses, and compressor. And I think it all fits with out modifying or making brackets and such, still researching.

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did a Sanden swap on the compressor. everything bolted directly on .best money I ever spent

DiEsmitty

Reaction score
If your a fairly competent person there is a test you can take online to be able to purchase R-12. Pep Boys sells R-12 usually keep it in a locked cabinet, keep in mind these containers are old. You will need R-12 fittings and gauges which are a different size than r-134. The investment in the license and tools will still be cheaper than a conversion, but might not be practical. At this point in you should really convert over to 134a. I only got the license and equipment because at the time I was going through foxbody mustangs like crazy. I live and work in Japan now, the last time I bought a can of R-12 from Pep Boys was in 2012.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did a Sanden swap on the compressor. everything bolted directly on .best money I ever spent
Parts that you used? Model year of truck? 95+ used a completely different belt and bracket setup that 94 and down. Pretty sure that 95+ is an easy swap to a better quality compressor. 94 and down is the problem because the belt system brackets are taylor made for the wonderful R4 compressor that is being so heavily discussed these days.