What a $40,000 GMT 400 apparently looks like

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I'm 49, and I have several of the same stories. That's why I am (to the point of insanity, as far as my family is concerned) tightly holding onto my Crown Vic police car, and this crew cab.
Figure eight races all over the country are destroying the Crown Vics, and how many of the State/county fleet cclb's do you see daily? They are my 3 year old son's inheritance! Lol!!!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My pops had a 68 c10, short bed 2wd, factory big block 396. Came with a/c, power steering and power brakes. I'm fairly certain about the power steering. The demise of that truck was when he put diesel in it at a store that had just installed diesel pumps but you couldn't distinguish them from the gas pumps..

oh man, that's my dream truck.
Why did he do a diesel back then?
They say the best thing to happen to classic car/truck prices was the 2008 recession, ties into the rich getting richer theory..........

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh man, that's my dream truck.
Why did he do a diesel back then?
They say the best thing to happen to classic car/truck prices was the 2008 recession, ties into the rich getting richer theory..........
Pardon my bad description. I meant to say that he accidentally filled the 396 up with diesel and drove down the road a few miles before the diesel fuel wrecked the engine. If I can find the pictures I'll scan them in and upload so I cam show them.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
My "first" car was a 1973 pinto wagon.
Orange with fake wood paneling, plaid orange seats and orange shag carpet with a luggage rack.
And that was all factory.
My freinds called it the " Birth Control Car"

I wish you still had it!!! There's a 351w I know of that needs a lightweight wagon to wear, lol!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish you still had it!!! There's a 351w I know of that needs a lightweight wagon to wear, lol!
Ha! at the time, I thought it was the most uncool thing ever.
The cruelest thing my Father ever did to me was giving me that car
Then I blew the head gasket and burned a groove about a half inch deep between #2 and #3.
All of the sudden, Im riding the bus and the Pinto looked much better to me.
So I decided I could braze that grand canyon gouge with a pellet torch and file it kinda sorta flat and roundish.
It actually held for a few days before that nugget of brass popped loose on the freeway.
I thought I broke a rod it was so loud.
Nope, just broke everything else!
Me and my likewise dumb freinds tried to pull the engine by chaining it to a 4x4 and hanging a block and tackle off of a tree limb.
We broke the tree and dropped the engine on the core support.
That was the end of "Birth Control Car" After that it was called "Orange Crush"

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm 49, and I have several of the same stories. That's why I am (to the point of insanity, as far as my family is concerned) tightly holding onto my Crown Vic police car, and this crew cab.
Figure eight races all over the country are destroying the Crown Vics, and how many of the State/county fleet cclb's do you see daily? They are my 3 year old son's inheritance! Lol!!!
That is awesome. Plus, sounds like your boy will grow up knowing how to fix cars himself.
Not at the mercy of some shop and not stuck on the side of the road.
I look at it this way, I havent had a car payment since 1998.
All of that money goes into my toy fund and my retirement.
And all of that is pretty heavily boosted by fixing cars on the side for people who didnt grow up with a Dad who tought them the greasy gas ways of getting ahead.
And, If he learns the ways..
He can keep his freinds from getting ripped off too!
Over the span of your life, it easily gets into the tens of thousands of dollars and can get into the hundreds of thousands.
I bought my first house off of not buying new cars.
I just made sure the garage had heat, 220 volts, and a flat driveway
Keep doing the Dad thing Bud
Passing on that knowledge can help set him up for life

Last edited:

blackdeathmessenger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, you are dead on. I'm glad you pointed out the blame being a two party problem, because it definitely is. Wages have not stayed on pace with increasing cost of living. Years ago, a man could work at a job, climb the ladder and afford a new car every 3-5 years, own a home, send a couple kids to college and retire with a good pension after 20-30 years. All the while making a pretty good living. That man did all of that with a wife staying home. She was definitely working, but not necessarily bringing in a paycheck. It's really sad how the middle class has slowly eroded over the past thirty years.

Middle class? What's that? Sounds like a spicy pickle

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone, no matter the party, who thinks that they are so rightous in their vision of the world, who decides to dedicate their entire life to attaining power and control in order to impose that personal ideal upon everyone else
Is, by deffinition a "cluster B" personallity disordered person.
We have always elected the insane