What’s the best torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The transmission in my 1993 Sierra 2wd 1500 single cab is going out. It’s half way there with no 3rd or 4th gear. I found a local guy that does really good work for a good deal. I’m going to drop the transmission this week and he said if I can get it to him in the next few days he can have it rebuilt in 1 day because he has finally caught up. I have a 4L60E but I do not know what TC to go with. Any recommendations? He is going to do all the main upgrades and everything to the transmission so is there anything else I should also change while I’m doing it? I have never changed a transmission before.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you going to be doing with the truck?

I'd have him order you a converter. He use Transstar or WhateverItTakes Transmission for his parts?

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a daily. It’s been lowered. 5/7 drop so I’m not going to be towing much with it. I do occasionally carry my motorcycles in the bed and a 16 foot trailer but I don’t do that often. This isn’t a work truck. I drive it mostly in town and on the interstate. I talked to him on the phone earlier but I didn’t ask him what parts he uses but he definitely seemed knowledgeable. He was telling me about the springs and seals and reverse gear that can go bad and upgrading the servo. I didn’t know what he was talking about really because I don’t know much about transmissions but this is his job. He’s local so him ripping me off with a bad job wouldn’t fly.

What slip should I go with or even a model #

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going for performance or what?

What engine?

There are several options for you but it seems just a stock type converter will be fine

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for all the large gaps. My phone is acting dumb on this forum for some reason

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad I don’t know why I didn’t give that info. 350 with the 4L60E. And Performance is always good but I don’t want it to be jumpy

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a GM18A was a high stall and a GM35CW is a medium stall from TRANSTAR for the 1993 S10 4.3 W for sell at Advanced Auto. Do y'all know anything about either of those two or which one to go with or have a link to a better option for my 1993 Sierra 5.7?

Last edited: