Well Crap...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to the car wash this morning to pressure wash pollen off my Yukon, on left top of wind shield noticed a dead bug that would not come off, Turns out it's rust, I cant believe it.
Got home took the attached pictures, seems it's spreading across the top of the windshield.
I had a Cadillac like this once there was no stopping it.
Any suggestions on a repair, and/or the cost.
The yellow stuff is pollen, I stopped when I seen the rust.
Ron
You must be registered for see images attach

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To do it right, you'll end up pulling the windshield, grinding out the rust, filling the low spots and repainting the better part of the whole roof. It's repairable, but you should get on it sooner than later.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It's more than that one little spot too... I can see where the paint is bubbling on the lower left in the picture.

I wonder if your roof rack is leaking water inside. My lights leak water inside the roof.

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's more than that one little spot too... I can see where the paint is bubbling on the lower left in the picture.

I wonder if your rood rack is leaking water inside. My lights leak water inside the roof.
Noticed the same thing.

This is going to suck, but the original response is the best. You'll want to take the time and check what 454cid implied and see where the water is getting in, otherwise fixing it is only temporary.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed the same thing.

This is going to suck, but the original response is the best. You'll want to take the time and check what 454cid implied and see where the water is getting in, otherwise fixing it is only temporary.

Got quotes today from $1000 to $2000 depending.
No guarantee on rust.
Most places I went to do not do rust of any kind, period.
So now I have to do what I always windup doing.....do it myself....?
Ron

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got estimates today...$1000 - $2000 depending.
No guarantee on rust, most places do not do rust of any kind, period.
My fear is that I may talk myself into doing it.........thats what usually happens.
Ron
They have mobile media blasters now, you may see if somebody can blast the rust off and then take it to a body shop for fill and spray

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have mobile media blasters now, you may see if somebody can blast the rust off and then take it to a body shop for fill and spray

I got a price on the windshield, $125 out, and back in after the rust repair.
An additional $145 + tax if the glass breaks.
I have to take it to them, so I'll be driving back home with it duct taped to the car.

Depending on how far advanced (or not) the rust is, I may do this my self.
Materials list so far is
wire wheel for drill
scrapers
vinegar to kill rust
various sandpapers
Bondo glass
scratch filler
primer filler
Top coat 522 pewter metallic Dupli-color
clear coat dupli-color
Buff it out
do I need anything else?
Am I missing something?
As always any assist appreciated, Ron

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I recommend an angle grinder with sanding flap wheel over the wire wheel on a drill method. There is a specific type of primer that is used to prep the surface of the windshield. A windshield should be under $200 installed and when I had one put on the dually, the guy treated my rust and primed it shut. Not the first time I've had a windshield guy treat rust, so if yours won't touch it just find another company. It'll add 10 or 15 minutes to their install. Granted they won't treat the rust on top of the roof, but you can nip the stuff under the glass in the bud.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recommend an angle grinder with sanding flap wheel over the wire wheel on a drill method. There is a specific type of primer that is used to prep the surface of the windshield. A windshield should be under $200 installed and when I had one put on the dually, the guy treated my rust and primed it shut. Not the first time I've had a windshield guy treat rust, so if yours won't touch it just find another company. It'll add 10 or 15 minutes to their install. Granted they won't treat the rust on top of the roof, but you can nip the stuff under the glass in the bud.

Are you talking about the primer that goes on before the top coat?
Remember they will be installing on a newly repaired window channel.
I think it's just the sticky stuff, and lay the windshield in.
Good suggestion about the grinder, I have a 4", I'll get some flap wheels for it.
Ron

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before I spent any time or money on it I would pull the headliner and see what the inside looks like. Sometimes what you see on the outside is actually what came from the inside. If that is the case, the vehicle isn't a loss, I would just approach it differently. If the rust is from the inside out, then I focus on slowing it down, which you can do and make it last for years. If the rust is only on the outside, grind it out and refinish.

The problem is when you don't know, start grinding, and there is no good metal left to work with. Once you grind out the little that is left, it's hard to put it back...