Welding on newer seats that have airbags?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting newer seats in my truck. Most of the seats that I like have oem airbags. Can I cut and weld the frames of these seats without setting off the airbag?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to think this through. Do the airbag connectors have shorting bars built in? A shorting bar is a little springy piece of metal that lays across the terminals that gets pushed out of the way when you plug the connector in. It make it safer to transport the airbags.

...but...

Does a shorting bar actually complete a circuit that allows a current to be induced? Would it be safer having an open circuit if you're welding near it? My brain hurts.

I think the safer bet would be to not weld on the seat at all and build the mounts you need in the truck.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unbolt the seat from the frame, no chance of air bag inflation. This will give you more access as well to do a proper welding job. You do not need the seat or the bracket to break in a crash. SAFETY FIRST !!!!