Weird noise coming from drivetrain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You have probably ruined the U-joints by driving with them not having proper lube.

I guess you'll find out if the noise comes back.

You mean when. I had a ball joint that didn't want to take grease. I didn't realize at the time that it was hammered. I must have force fed it 20-30 pumps before it puked out the boot and it shut right up. For a couple of months. Then one day I jacked the wheel up while the frame was on stands and it went over a quarter inch before it took the control arm with it. Smoking gun. I had a drive line squeak a couple years ago. Ended up being a u joint that got to be dried up and worn out. They were short quick squeaks at low speed only with no vibration.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little side note: if you have a grease zerk that won't take grease, put a rag over it and then cram the grease gun on and try. I learned this trick when I was a beginning technician. I can't explain how it works, but it does. Not exactly the problem the OP was having with his u-joints, but file it away in the back of your brain and someday you'll use it.