Weird intermittent no crank problem - 94 k2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

702castillo

Reaction score
Sounds like the rod is bent and/or out of adjustment.

Drop the column. The switch, at the end of the rod, is adjustable. Loosen it, snug it towards the steering wheel, and retighten.
Hey man I’m having the same issue with my truck actually! This thread sounds like I typed it myself ahahaha. I’m just not understanding what you mean by the steering wheel resting position?? Is there anyway you could shoot some pictures up in the thread or re word it? I’ve done everything on mine new starter,battery,alternator,belt, and body grounds and still has the same problem as yours !

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man I’m having the same issue with my truck actually! This thread sounds like I typed it myself ahahaha. I’m just not understanding what you mean by the steering wheel resting position?? Is there anyway you could shoot some pictures up in the thread or re word it? I’ve done everything on mine new starter,battery,alternator,belt, and body grounds and still has the same problem as yours !

Suppose you park the vehicle, wheels straight forward, and just turn off the ignition. That's its resting position.
Now turn the steering wheel, left or right. It'll get stopped by the column lock.
Next time you park, turn the wheel as hard and as far left or right as possible. Turn off the key while still holding the steering wheel at full lock. The power assist will drop off and the weight of the vehicle will turn the column HARD into the column lock. Now try turning the engine back on. It's next to impossible unless you force the steering wheel harder, away from the column lock in order to turn the key.

702castillo

Reaction score
Suppose you park the vehicle, wheels straight forward, and just turn off the ignition. That's its resting position.
Now turn the steering wheel, left or right. It'll get stopped by the column lock.
Next time you park, turn the wheel as hard and as far left or right as possible. Turn off the key while still holding the steering wheel at full lock. The power assist will drop off and the weight of the vehicle will turn the column HARD into the column lock. Now try turning the engine back on. It's next to impossible unless you force the steering wheel harder, away from the column lock in order to turn the key.
Well see the key turns for me no matter steering position but it just clicks I get no crank despite all the new components and my truck is always backed straight into the garage steering never turned too the side. So should I be turning my wheel too the side when I park ??

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No crank can be shift position interlock, it needs to see "P" or "N", try moving the shift lever from P to N to see it that makes any difference.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck is a 5 speed :/

Greetings 702castillo,

This could be an important clue. Automatic equipped cars are designed to not crank over unless
the gear selector is in either PARK or NEUTRAL positions.

For the same safety-related reasons, manual transmission equipped trucks also will not
crank over unless the clutch pedal is fully depressed. If this clutch position switch is marginal/intermittent
(or bad wiring to/from a good switch) then this could be what's causing the crank/no-crank condition you are experiencing.

(Assuming that ALL non-factory wiring mods {kill switch installed by PO?} have already been removed
and you are still having the issue?)

This is just some troubleshooting food for thought. IF the switch was wide open then you would have a 'No Click + No Crank'
scenario. But if there was a marginal connection you could end up with a "Clink + No Crank" failure. It may take some
sleuthing on your part, but this is definitely a fixable thing.

Best of luck, & let us know what you find...

(EDIT: The poster owning this truck started more than one thread for this issue, so instead of troubleshooting
the same problem in 2 different threads, all the effort to resolve this intermittent no-crank issue is now consolidated over HERE.)

Last edited: