Weird intermittent no crank problem - 94 k2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badgerthehobo

Reaction score
I’ve got a 1994 k2500 with a 5.7 TBI and 4L60e with a really aggravating no-crank problem.

I noticed last week I was having a hard time getting it to crank over. The starter just sounded like a sad old man trying to crank, like the battery was going bad. Got the battery tested, it had a good charge but the CCA was super low so I replaced it. Started right up like a brand new truck.

Then yesterday I parked the truck for about 10 minutes to unload and when I tried to start it, everything came on as normal (lights not dim, etc), but when I turned it to start I just got a click. Cussed and swore and went back in the house and started googling. Between answers on a Facebook post in a gmt400 group and a rudimentary understanding of starting systems, I figured it was probably the starter. I go back outside about 3 hours later and hit the key just to see what happens and it fired right up. So I was thinking maybe an intermittent open in the solenoid or something. I park the truck and go inside out of the rain.

I go buy a starter today, get it installed, and when I hit the key I got the same problem. Everything seems normal but when I turned to start I just hear a click from under the hood, like maybe the relay that disconnects power to the accessories for starting. No crank.

After more swearing and a mini hissy fit including jerking the steering wheel, I try the key again and it cranks over. So I take the truck for a spin around the block to recharge the battery a bit, park, and shut it off. Turn the key, click. Jerk with the wheel a little bit and turn the key again and it cranks right over.

SO I’m thinking I have a short in the steering column somewhere. How do I go about troubleshooting this? Or, can I just bypass the starter wire somehow under the dash and put in a push button? If so, how?

Or, could I somehow have an open in the battery wire to the starter? Because the only thing having me doubting the “short in the column” idea is the fact I still get a click when I turn to start. But that relay might be getting de-energized when you turn to start and I’m hearing the spring clicking the relay open. I’m throwing spaghetti at the wall right now.

Help, I need the truck for work on Monday.

S

badgerthehobo

Reaction score
There is.
The distributor mostly became a mount for the cam position sensor in 1996 with the Vortec redesign.
Sorry if I seem combative, I’m not. But where can it be? It’s just a plastic cap with 9 wire terminals on it. There’s no module in the cap. At least not in the one that was on it when I got the truck or the 3 I’ve installed as part of the annual tune up I do.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if I seem combative, I’m not. But where can it be? It’s just a plastic cap with 9 wire terminals on it. There’s no module in the cap. At least not in the one that was on it when I got the truck or the 3 I’ve installed as part of the annual tune up I do.
If you go and change it, make darn sure you clean off the distributor base and REAPPLY dielectric grease to the heat sync.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT.

badgerthehobo

Reaction score
At the aluminum base, under the pickup coil. The two wiring harnesses plug into the module.
Ok see now that makes sense to me. He said it was on the cap which didn’t make any sense.

Would that cause a no crank issue? One that is semi-corrected by wiggling the steering wheel? Everything else electrical comes on as normal, and when I turn the key to start the accessories turn off as they would when starting, but I just hear a relay click, nothing from the starter. Then I wiggle the steering wheel a bit and try again and it cranks.