Weird Ignition issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdubb79w

Reaction score
Hey all,

Got a 1996 K1500 with the 4.3L engine and the 5 speed in it. Truck sat for awhile and it got it going again, kind of a rolling project. My biggest issue right now is this thing going on with my ignition.

So I can turn the key forward it unlocks the steering wheel and I get power to everything and hear the fuel pump kick on too. Going further forward to start it usually doesn’t start unless I turn the ignition cylinder back and forth like 50 times then I hit the sweet spot and the starter will engage and the truck will fire right up. I changed the ignition cylinder already and that changed nothing and this problem is getting worse the longer I drive it. I also have tried starting it with a screw driver with the cylinder out and that doesn’t work either. What can this be?

I am about ready to rig up a push button for the starter since it seems like everything else works.

(Please move if in the wrong section)

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Check the ignition switch, the solenoid on the starter, the neutral/clutch safety switch and all the wiring in between.

Get a remote starter switch (tool) and try the starter that way you won't need to drop the starter to test it.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @Frank Enstein

Too, a poor connection on any of the battery cables could cause this... either lead (+12 or ground), either at battery or at starter / frame. I've seen it happen.

Poor connections usually make themselves known; the interior lights will go out completely when you turn the IGN to the "start" position and / or the solenoid will chatter.

Cdubb79w

Reaction score
Check the ignition switch, the solenoid on the starter, the neutral/clutch safety switch and all the wiring in between.

Get a remote starter switch (tool) and try the starter that way you won't need to drop the starter to test it.
Thanks!

Would this be multimeter testing or try bypassing them and see if it starts every time? Could I jump the posts on the solenoid for that test?

Cdubb79w

Reaction score
Agree with @Frank Enstein

Too, a poor connection on any of the battery cables could cause this... either lead (+12 or ground), either at battery or at starter / frame. I've seen it happen.

Poor connections usually make themselves known; the interior lights will go out completely when you turn the IGN to the "start" position and / or the solenoid will chatter.
No chatter on the solenoid but I do have some interior lights that work intermittently. The back light for the temp dial on the climate control works after it’s been running for awhile and the dome light and door buzz don’t work at all. Any typical ground failure locations to look for?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some interior lights that work intermittently. the dome light and door buzz don’t work at all. Any typical ground failure locations to look for?

The door jamb switches can go bad and cause intermittent operation (on a per door basis, so investigate each switch individually).

The service manuals will show you the location of the grounds on the vehicle, FYI. Any ground (on-frame or body interior) that's suffered corrosion is suspect. An inspection, and knowledge of the vehicle history, will help ascertain those ground locations in need of study.

Classic problem areas are those on the frame and any associated ground straps.

Last edited: