Weird exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dash

Reaction score
I got a 98 K1500 5.7L. I was planning on tearing it apart but my daily driver broke down so ill have to drive this for a few weeks till I can fix the DD. The previous owner put in a pretty butchered dual exhaust setup in the truck that ill be taking off....eventually. The existing system has the muffler right after the cat.

Well the other day I got a loud drone noise in the cab - got home and the one side of the exhaust was pretty much rusted off at the muffler. I cut it off so It wouldn't fall off on the road in the next few weeks. Should I cut the other side off to match? The trucks pretty obnoxiously loud with the weirdest sounding exhaust.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Your call. If it's not hurting anything, I'd vouch leave it on. It'll be just as loud or louder if you chop the other side, especially if it's dumping under the truck.

I got laughed at waiting on a backorder exhaust when I was young. Same issue - an old Flowmaster system rotted completely off after the cat. Took weeks to get a y-pipe! The 2 local shops I went to didn't want to make me an OEM style one.

If it's an emergency, you might be able to clamp something on...But I'd save up and do it right the first time!

Dash

Reaction score
thanks Crusty. I just left it janky. Honestly I have many issues with my ****** OBS at this point why not!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried Summit or Jegs or Rock or Amazon for a cat back dual kit? When my wife finally said " Enough!" I ordered the cat back duals from Summit to replace the original barrel muffler. My wife said the dog knew i on the home blocks away. Hah hah. Good luck.