Weird brake issue. ANNOYING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a 1999 suburban 1500 4x4. I replaced the front calipers with new 1 ton calipers to help the stopping of this beast. New A/C Delco rotors and braided steel line was already there from lift extensions. New 1/2 pads. Bled the system but must have air in the abs so gonna take it to the shop. The question I have is it sounds like there is a ton of crap between the rotors and pads. I cleaned everything after the install. Taken it to the car wash 3 times and sprayed the hell out of the rotors. Still lots of noise. Even when not applying brake pressure tons or scraping noise. I know I’m gonna have to jump in there to see what I can see, but didn’t know if somebody could give me a heads up of what it probably is.

JackWagon92

Reaction score
I don't know your ability and I'm not assuming anything. With that said, I used to be a technician and you wouldn't believe the kind of stuff I saw. More than once I had customers complain of noise after they did their own brakes, pads were turned around with friction away from the rotor.
It could also be the backing plate bent and dragging on the rotor, should be tinny sound. Or something stuck between backing plate and rotor.
I'd at least narrow down which side before you rip into it. Good luck.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Check to make sure you don't have a stuck caliper slide pin. Also, can you be certain the noise is from the front? A lot of times, a broken spring in the rear will drag on the drum and kind of sound like it's coming from the front.

Bigred81

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
appreciate the ideas guys. I’ll update when it’s done. Appreciate the input a lot

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does the pad hit either the inside or outside edge of the rotor?

^^^^ Beat me to it, I bet this is what's happening. The problem is way worse with the 2500 pads on a 1500 rotor. If this is what's happening, grind on the pad backing plate and let the rest self clearance.

Boston88

Reaction score
I have the one ton calapers also and I found that the bolts are a bit too long. I ground a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch off both of the bolts and they no lpnger touch the rotor. I would look there, as an easy test put a couple lug nuts on the studs with out the tire and then back off the calaper bolts and see if the noise goes away when you rotate the hub.