Weight Reduction...

Discussion in 'Street Chat / Timeslips' started by bsn1989, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Fukitol

Fukitol Newbie

Not sure how far you are willing to go, but removing the inner fenders on the front will take some weight off and moving the battery to the bed will be beneficial as far as weight transfer and hook up.

2. Fukitol

Fukitol Newbie

My bad, you already removed inner fenders.

3. Fukitol

Fukitol Newbie

Could also look into light weight tubular control arms and a fiberglass front bumper

4. Vodka0tter

Vodka0tter I'm Awesome

yes, get the front bumper off and the brackets. Seats weigh a ton, and wheels - wheels... You want some 15" for the track anyway so you get some squish. ABS can add a bit and if you have A/C thats alot. Move the batty back, fog lamps, manual window cranks, no console, no big fat sub speaker/amps, gut the bed go aluminium braces, go lightweight aluminum or glass fab dash, upper/lower control arms, loose the leaf springs and go 4 bar, flange the exhaust so its easy to drop at the track, skin the tailgate, lighten the front frame rails (if you drop the bumper), core and aluminum brace for the hood skin or glass hood, glass fenders, lighten up the inner fenders, driveshaft... Just look and decide; comfort, safety, practicality and function. Where can you live with out one of these when you look at every part on the truck.

Fukitol likes this.
  5. 454cid

454cid I'm Awesome

I would encourage you not to compromise safety just to get a better timeslip, if this isn't going to be a track only vehicle. A better timeslip isn't going to be very useful in a collision on the street. I'd keep things like the steel bumper and all the frame up front.

RichLo likes this.
  6. RichLo

RichLo I'm Awesome

I agree with this, on my 75% track car I couldn't bring myself to gut out the doors in case of a side-impact for the 25% I'm driving on the street.