Weight Distribution Hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have multiple. I have a 1000/10000 Brophy that I use with my 1500 to pull my 9000#ish enclosed car hauler. Tongue weight is 1100-1200# though. I have a Curt I'm not using, 1500/15000 rated. It's ****** junk, DO NOT get one. I also have the 1700/17000 (I think) rated Reese and that one is beef. The thing is either cast or forged and is a different animal altogether compared to the other 2. The Brophy has served me well by not sucking and should continue to do so into the future, but that Reese is just an animal.

Here is how the Curt failed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is its vastly superior replacement. This was about 4 tows with the Curt and the Reese has been flawless since 2019.

You must be registered for see images attach

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got an 10K EAZ-Lift that came with my camper, I love it because it's so easy to set.
The only problems I've had are due to the locking pin for the bar not setting right. First time I pulled the camper somewhere the WD bar popped out and was drug for quite a ways.

From there on out I always wrapped a zip-tie around the keeper pin as sort of a fail-safe. I'm going back on forth on trying to find a new head for it or if I should just upgrade hitches...

My dad has used a 10K Reese, and 12K Blue Ox for his campers and truth be told, if I were to upgrade and move away from the EAZ-Lift, Blue Ox would be my go to. Super stout design and super simple to set.

Attachments

• PXL_20220501_141816540.jpg
    PXL_20220501_141816540.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been looking into these and I think I've decided on the Andersen WDH. It uses chains instead of spring bars. The ability to dial in the chain tension based on tongue weight is ideal for my uses. Another benefit is the amount of space this will take up in my truck box, and weighs 60lbs total.

I'm leery on the longevity of the friction cup that is employed for anti-sway. I haven't seen many reviews where people have put some decent miles on these setups, but all feedback has been good either way.

Attachments

• sway-control-banner.jpg
    sway-control-banner.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 29
  • andersen_wdh_installed_cropped_ea2f24c1630593e4afdd46065928d03b00faf917.jpg
    andersen_wdh_installed_cropped_ea2f24c1630593e4afdd46065928d03b00faf917.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 30

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Etrailer can EAD. They offered me NOTHING when that Curt failed.
LOL, I didn't get mine from there, it was just the first one I seen with slide bars like mine.

Edit, I'll have to get a pic of mine tomorrow, I don't see anything online just like it.

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been using one similar to this for the past couple years...https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Equal-i-zer/EQ37140ET.html

Seems to do well, and real easy to use. A little noisy since the bars slide on the L brackets, but haven't had any issues. Mines a 1200lb version.

I use a fastway e2 that is similar to ^^^ this. The only problem that I've had was one time the metal plates that are bolted together, (squeezing the hitch) - slid back, allowing one bar to pop off.

The pick of the hitch that the OP posted - wouldn't the tension (caused when you tighten the chain) with that style hitch cause those metal plates to slide easily? Seems like a bad idea.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've been looking into these and I think I've decided on the Andersen WDH. It uses chains instead of spring bars. The ability to dial in the chain tension based on tongue weight is ideal for my uses. Another benefit is the amount of space this will take up in my truck box, and weighs 60lbs total.

I'm leery on the longevity of the friction cup that is employed for anti-sway. I haven't seen many reviews where people have put some decent miles on these setups, but all feedback has been good either way.

Looks like the rubber/poly bushings are going to bear the brunt of the load. I wonder what the longevity and pros/cons are to a setup like that? The bars are adjustable too, is the adjustability the thing that won you over?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I use a fastway e2 that is similar to ^^^ this. The only problem that I've had was one time the metal plates that are bolted together, (squeezing the hitch) - slid back, allowing one bar to pop off.

The pick of the hitch that the OP posted - wouldn't the tension (caused when you tighten the chain) with that style hitch cause those metal plates to slide easily? Seems like a bad idea.

Look at the second pic, I think that guy is fighting those plates sliding around just like you say.