Weak blower solved!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just thought I would share what I learned. While not exactly a GMT400, I have had weaker ac airflow for a while. Figured it was just old foam seals behind the dash and what not. Anyway, I swapped the blower and resistor today. Genuine GM blower motor has a far different design then the parts house garbage I put on it when it gave up in the middle of a road trip years ago. I went ahead and resealed my evaporator box while I was there. New heavy-duty foam to seal the evaporator core to the housing and new foam seals for the ac lines. All I can say well worth the 1 hour of time and $80 for a new blower, new resistor and the seals. Evaporator core was still pretty clean, but I rinsed it off/out too. The repositioned "filter screen" did an excellent job keeping crud out of the core since I put it in back in 2011.

Cleaned evaporator core, the foil tape on the recirculate door has been there since 2011. The door itself had opening cut out to make sure nice hot ambient air entered when you use re-circulate. This van has never had weatherstripping that sealed it well enough to worry about that.

You must be registered for see images attach

New GM foam seals, glued to the evaporator core with weatherstrip glue to hold them in place.

New GM blower in white. The squirrel cage is a much more open design and has longer blades to it.

Going back together

Last edited: