Water Pump Relacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1996 K1500 and want to replace everything--water pump, heater hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses, bypass hoses, t-stat. Everything but the radiator. Does anybody have a comprehensive parts list with parts numbers? I went to O'Rielly's, spent $180 and 1/2 of the parts are wrong.

Great write-up. Thanks! I'll put this to use this week.

Thanks,
Bill

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the right parts at Rock Auto or Amazon, they seem to have better come compatibility software. Rockauto is good when buying a lot of parts shipped from the same warehouse. It's a bit of work to get the right combo of parts from one warehouse but you save on shipping.

1998crewcab

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is 5% off Rockauto
add code to how did you hear about us when checking out where payment info goes
valid till Jan 1 , 2021

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get the right parts at Rock Auto or Amazon, they seem to have better come compatibility software. Rockauto is good when buying a lot of parts shipped from the same warehouse. It's a bit of work to get the right combo of parts from one warehouse but you save on shipping.

I research what brands/options there are with Rock auto... then I look on Amazon and see if my prime account covers shipping. RA has really buggered me with shipping before, so I'm not making that mistake again.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, I ordered copper header gaskets on Amazon (I have the Prime Visa card too). Then I saw that they were being shipped from TN and will take a week to arrive. I wanted to get it done that weekend so I looked on Oreilly.com, got the same Mr Gasket set shipped overnight to my house free and, they cost ~$4 less. It pays to shop around!

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm... I had a full coolant leak with no temp problems and bought a radiator... now I’m thinking it could have been the water pump. ****. Great write up!! What was the elapsed time including issues?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hmmm... I had a full coolant leak with no temp problems and bought a radiator... now I’m thinking it could have been the water pump. ****. Great write up!! What was the elapsed time including issues?
I did my 5.7 Vortec Burb water pump in an afternoon,and that was taking my time and waiting for my cousin to get home so he could take me to the parts store ( it was further than I wanted to walk). It took less time a month later when I had to replace the pump because it leaked. Biggest headache was changing the bypass hoses; those original style clamps are a pain in the ass to get if you don't have the special pliers ( see my post in "New Tools!"). If the clamps are the work gear style that makes it easier. Cause then you just need a 5/16" nut driver and a socket /extension combo for the lower hose. I like that the factory made the fan shroud in two pieces, much simpler to do this job. IIRC those are 10mm, like the bolts that hold the pulley on. I have the holder tool and a 35mm wrench( some are 36mm) for the big nut on the fan. Use Aviation Permatex on the pump mounting bolts, because they go into the block water jacket. It'll leak if you don't-- ask me how I know! Also use anti seize on the other bolts. That should do it.....