Water Pump Relacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billy bee

Reaction score
I have a 1996 K1500 and want to replace everything--water pump, heater hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses, bypass hoses, t-stat. Everything but the radiator. Does anybody have a comprehensive parts list with parts numbers? I went to O'Rielly's, spent $180 and 1/2 of the parts are wrong.

Great write-up. Thanks! I'll put this to use this week.

Thanks,
Bill

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1996 K1500 and want to replace everything--water pump, heater hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses, bypass hoses, t-stat. Everything but the radiator. Does anybody have a comprehensive parts list with parts numbers? I went to O'Rielly's, spent $180 and 1/2 of the parts are wrong.

Great write-up. Thanks! I'll put this to use this week.

Thanks,
Bill
Rock Auto does

billy bee

Reaction score
^
^
^

I was looking for a parts list for water pump, heater hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses, bypass hoses, t-stat. Everything but the radiator.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
^
^
^

I was looking for a parts list for water pump, heater hoses, upper and lower radiator hoses, bypass hoses, t-stat. Everything but the radiator.

You probably won't find a list, because what you're doing is standard replacement of parts. If you were modifying something, following someone else, you would be more likely to find a parts list. You'll need to look up each part individually on the part's stores website, or go into the store so they can look it up. Make/Model/Year, and engine. If this is new to you, you might not want to do this yourself, if you depend on this truck as daily transportation. Once you open up the cooling system, you're not driving the truck anymore until it's done.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^
^
^

Rockauto.com is literally a catalog (list) of parts. You select your vehicle and then search for the component you need. There may be options... but they usually tell you what the options are. Some knowledge of your vehicle may be required. Choose what you need based on your budget...Add items to your cart...Checkout...

Or...

Go back to oreilly's with your vin number. I assure you that they sell 100's if not 1000's of cooling system components for our trucks every day nation wide. The catalog is correct. Either you or the parts guy were wrong with the vehicle description. It happens! The vin will assure you that they have your vehicle correct.

Last edited:

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out of curiosity. What water pumps are you guys running. I seem have issues with new pumps that leak out the hard lines. I've tried an acdelco and a durlast

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Permatex makes a very good gasket sealer, that's what I used the second time. My first replaced water pump leaked, probably from the RTV on the gaskets moving, or maybe it really was a defective pump. I also used the permatex on the mounting bolts, no leaks and it's been on for a year of daily driving. Chevy motors do go through water pumps maybe more frequently than other ones, but maybe it is just my experience. The timing job on the vortec can be time consuming and expensive, done it on my other 99 years ago and learned how different it is from the older generation. The timing cover is plastic and must be replaced when it's taken apart. To do this job you have to drop the oil pan and that may involve raising the motor.