Washing engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These modern engines are pretty well sealed but I would still avoid using a pressure washer. Pressure washers will force water into places it shouldn't go.
Only wash the engine when it is cold,a hot engine will draw water into those no go areas as it cools. Spray it with non-foamy Gunk,let it sit a few minutes to loosen the grime then wash off with a garden hose and jet nozzle.
You shouldn't need to disconnect the battery.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
All three of those things you mentioned, I never do.....how else would I get them clean :biggrin:

Having said that, if it's a first time cleaning a particular engine, I'll be more careful. Also, while I don't cover the distributor, I wouldn't hold a pressure washer right on it, up close, either.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take off the air box and cover throttle body with plastic using an elastic band. I then cover PCM and other obvious electrical connections. Then Simple Green solution, let it sit for about 5 minutes and just a garden hose(no jet spray). I also get it running as quick as possible after cleaning.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Been blasting engines clean for 25+ years without covering anything, never had an issue unless it was an old points distributor.

Some of that nasty stuff that used to come into the shop...just took them right to the power washer first thing, never paid me enough for an oil and grease bath.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been blasting engines clean for 25+ years without covering anything, never had an issue unless it was an old points distributor.

Some of that nasty stuff that used to come into the shop...just took them right to the power washer first thing, never paid me enough for an oil and grease bath.
Me too, I did however have some excessive water inside a (vented) distributor cap for the first time the other day. But it was on 4.0 Jeep with oil leaking out of the head gasket that I was spraying off.
You must be registered for see images attach

Image source: Google search

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Similar here. I rarely have issues. Funny you mention points. I've washed out my 69 Buick, with it's original points distributor, and didn't have an issue. However, I did drown a lawn mower with points, and suddenly had to replace the condenser. It's been a number of years, but I think I replaced the points as well.

I suppose I should mention that I did drown my truck a couple of times. I don't really know what I'm getting wet, but it's a newer issue, and I can only think that something isn't sealed as well as it used to be, at over 300K miles.

To the people mentioning running the engine and going for a drive, I think that's a great idea, and have been doing that lately.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Similar here. I rarely have issues. Funny you mention points. I've washed out my 69 Buick, with it's original points distributor, and didn't have an issue. However, I did drown a lawn mower with points, and suddenly had to replace the condenser. It's been a number of years, but I think I replaced the points as well.

I suppose I should mention that I did drown my truck a couple of times. I don't really know what I'm getting wet, but it's a newer issue, and I can only think that something isn't sealed as well as it used to be, at over 300K miles.

To the people mentioning running the engine and going for a drive, I think that's a great idea, and have been doing that lately.
If your distributor base is cracked at the cap screw mounting tabs like MOST Vortec engines, the cap may not sit tight enough to keep moisture out. I had posted quite a while back about a parts truck I had that I had arranged to sell the engine (ran like a top) but the truck sat with the hood popped to the first catch, still on the safety release, and we had some heavy rain the night before. Next day truck wouldn't start. I drove myself crazy trying everything under the sun, even swapped in a known good PCM although I felt it was extremely unlikely to be the issue. I had already pulled the cap and rotor, sprayed them thoroughly with WD40 and wiped off the excess, still no love.

Hours later I finally took the cap and rotor back out because I just couldn't believe the problem wasn't in the distributor. Well, it WAS in the distributor. It was wet down inside the body of the damn thing - that's how much water got in there from the gap at the back of the hood. Sprayed a bunch of WD inside the distributor and mopped it all out with paper towels, put all the original parts back, and the thing fired right up again.

Richard