warpage after welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J4d320

Reaction score
rookie here, just tacked my "shaved handles" into place impatiently and warped the surrounding sheet metal on the door. im guessing a hammer and dolly wont be enough because the metal has stretched. Is a torch and towel my only option?

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently had luck using a small propane torch and a wet sponge when i warped some sheet metal on my tail gate. It wasn't terribly warped but I fixed it up

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just depends how far it warped door skins or any large thin sheet metal can have a warp travel. Look at whole panel and feel with a ungloved hand. If its not as bad as you think you can do the quench method whichnis shrinking it and remember general inaurance guidelines for body filler say 1/8 inch is maximum so there is always that option.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have found it better to use oxcy acetelene to shrink as you want to heat a dime size area quickly. propane will heat a much larger area. When you get your spot hot one light tap on the center then light taps all around the heated area then quench. If you can get a dolly behind just use light pressure with the dolly. Hammering on a panel with the dolly pushing against the back will strech metal. Lots on you tube about shrinking

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use a stud gun with a shrinking tip most times.

Last edited: