warpage after welding

Discussion in 'Paint / Body / Detailing' started by jade valov, Dec 10, 2018.

1. jade valov

jade valov Newbie

rookie here, just tacked my "shaved handles" into place impatiently and warped the surrounding sheet metal on the door. im guessing a hammer and dolly wont be enough because the metal has stretched. Is a torch and towel my only option?

2. brianmcb

brianmcb I'm Awesome

I recently had luck using a small propane torch and a wet sponge when i warped some sheet metal on my tail gate. It wasn't terribly warped but I fixed it up

95 rcsb, L33 5.3, hot cam, frost tune, 5spd, 4/6

3. laidbackbigun

laidbackbigun I'm Awesome

Just depends how far it warped door skins or any large thin sheet metal can have a warp travel. Look at whole panel and feel with a ungloved hand. If its not as bad as you think you can do the quench method whichnis shrinking it and remember general inaurance guidelines for body filler say 1/8 inch is maximum so there is always that option.

4. Bob L

Bob L I'm Awesome

I have found it better to use oxcy acetelene to shrink as you want to heat a dime size area quickly. propane will heat a much larger area. When you get your spot hot one light tap on the center then light taps all around the heated area then quench. If you can get a dolly behind just use light pressure with the dolly. Hammering on a panel with the dolly pushing against the back will strech metal. Lots on you tube about shrinking

5. Hipster

Hipster I'm Awesome

I use a stud gun with a shrinking tip most times.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:36 PM