Wanting to Buy a GMT800 Rear End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pighuntin

Reaction score
@Carolina_'99Hoe......In my line of thinking, the disc brakes need more fluid to operate. I agree that a proportioning valve is needed, but I do not think it will change the pedal height or firmness with discs on the rear. I have read from numerous sources that stock masters with a drum system originally cant keep up with disc brake system upgrade. Could you elaborate on what type of proportioning valve would be needed to ensure a firm pedal and provide the proper amount of fluid to rear calipers?

I know that the stock master cylinder on my baby 2WD would not handle discs on all 4. I dont have the reservoir volume to keep up with pad wear and all calipers are dual pistons. I would love to use a stock Master as it would be less work, but I know its not in the cards for me at least. If you wouldnt mind letting me peek into your line of thinking, I would love to see if its possible.

CarolinaOBS

ZIP TIES AND PB BLASTER
Reaction score
@Carolina_'99Hoe......In my line of thinking, the disc brakes need more fluid to operate. I agree that a proportioning valve is needed, but I do not think it will change the pedal height or firmness with discs on the rear. I have read from numerous sources that stock masters with a drum system originally cant keep up with disc brake system upgrade. Could you elaborate on what type of proportioning valve would be needed to ensure a firm pedal and provide the proper amount of fluid to rear calipers?

I know that the stock master cylinder on my baby 2WD would not handle discs on all 4. I dont have the reservoir volume to keep up with pad wear and all calipers are dual pistons. I would love to use a stock Master as it would be less work, but I know its not in the cards for me at least. If you wouldnt mind letting me peek into your line of thinking, I would love to see if its possible.

I understand where your coming from now, and I would have to say I don’t know. From my experince the factory 1 ton hydro boost could handle it. Delete the factory abs and just put a single pressure regulating ( twist knob style) proportioning valve for each line to adjust immediate pressure to the cylinders front and rear. Factory abs block has built in proportioning valves I believe and they suck and can’t be adjusted. I’ve never driven a stock gmt 400 with a firm brake pedal unless it was a hydro boost or abs deleted. If retaining abs I assume mc swap would be a better option to do just as you said supply more brake fluid flow through the system.
My stock hydro boost on my one ton has a bigger factory mc than my 3/4 ton with vacuum boosted brakes so if that helps any.