Wanting opinions for ABS delete dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a dilemma. I’m converting my 98 K2500 from a 350/Auto/electric shift t-case to a Cummins 6BT/NV4500/Ford NP205. The overall theme of the build is: bullet proof reliable and as simple as possible while being comfortable for long distance driving/overlanding.

The ABS has not worked since I bought the truck 2 years ago and haven’t been able to figure out why. I’ve been driving it regularly just fine anyway. I’m re-looming my wiring harness and removing all the now unnecessary wiring and I’m debating about deleting the whole ABS system from the truck while I clean and prep the engine bay for the Cummins. It would save space and simplify the wiring and braking systems. Which is all part of the theme for this build. I also have plans for a future SAS that may or may not deem ABS impossible anyway.

But I keep thinking back to the other half of my build theme of being comfortable and easily drivable (truck has mint leather interior, cold AC, cruise, extra insulation, etc.) and that suggests keeping the ABS...

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pull the fuse on everything I own with ABS. In older vehicles it can be dangerous when the ABS behaves unpredictably. Just remove it all. Go back to a combo valve from a square body. You can pull out the proportioning valve part and run an external rear proportioning valve if you ever go disks. My squarebody with hydraboost and decent tires can outstop almost anything I've owned with ABS in bad weather (snow) and it is 100% predictable without any electrical problems.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you're frustrated with it and just don't want to troubleshoot it. There's a time and place to farm out a job to an independent shop. I think you're in that place.

LoCascio_Inc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the future SAS with an older axle possibly making ABS impossible I’ve just deleted the entire system. I’ve driven it for 2 years without ABS anyway and gotten used to it. At this point I’m basically building a truck with tractor-like simplicity and a really comfy interior.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Used a proportioning valve off a 86 to do last one. Abs on these trucks are dangerous especially on slick roads.