Wanting a drop on the 1996 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the rear done. Luckily the 2" Maxtrac shackles I had on the truck are the same length as the McGauphy's and I didn't have to do rear shackles. This is good, because getting the hangers done whipped me pretty bad. Quite a chore to get the stock hangers off by drilling with a 90 degree drill and the bed still on.

I have a transmission jack, so i was able to loose the gas tank and slide over enough to get my hands and socket wrench up to the hanger frame bolts on the driver side.

I will go at the front spindles later this week I hope. I'm wondering how much interference my wheels will have with the LCA. The Ultra wheels I have in the front are 15x7 with a -6mm offset (3.76 B.S). For those who trimmed the LCA, did you just use a grinding wheel or did you cut with a cut off wheel?

You must be registered for see images attach
Both will work. But a cutoff wheel will be quicker.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Lookin good so far!

I used a cutoff wheel and an angle grinder on mine.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
The 2/4 drop on my 96 C1500 is finally completed : ). I am really impressed with McGauphy’s lowering kit in terms of quality and fitment. I expect to have to some shaving or mod’ing here and there but I had absolutely no issues with their kit fitment.

On the rear I will have to purchase a shock extender kit because the shock on the driver side has gotten into my Flowmaster exhaust a little. I think the extenders will move this out and down enough to clear and give a better shock angle. The pinion looks tilted up ever so slight but I haven’t noticed any vibration yet, still needs alignment too.

On the front spindles, I did have to bend down the banjo brake line about ¼” to allow it to rest under the upper ball joint stud threads in order to allow the caliper to slide into position and align with the holes. Also, I had replaced my ball joints with Moog in 2015 and I noticed the McGauphy’s taper hole mount is shaved a little compared to the stock spindle (probably to allow upper control arm clearance). The ball joint seats in the McG spindle good, but my Moog boot was just shy of compressing by about 3/16” so there was a gap showing the stud. I had purchased some energy boots in case I had to destroy the boots getting the ball joints separated. I just trimmed down the energy boot and put it over the Moog boot with some grease and seems to be ok. BTW, this was the first time I was able to separate all ball joints and tie rod with just a few whacks of a hammer.

The Ultra wheels I am using in the front are 15 x 7 w/ -6mm offset
so there was a lot of clearance with the lower control arm except on the rear of the arm at hard over wheel stop turns. The photo’s show the clearance before a trimming with a grinder and on the weight of the truck. Only the left wheel actually contacted the control arm, the right wheel had about 1/16 of clearance. I just trimmed along that angle edge to provide about 3/16” of clearance. I am sure I’ll need to grind some more once I check out the spare tire clearance.

I still need to have one front wheel balanced, get an alignment, and put the shock extenders on but from what I can tell, the truck feels like it has less roll and the ride is a little firmer but not to harsh.

Here is a pic of the truck dropped. One of these nice days, I’ll try to get it out and take comparison photos to the ones in my media profile here.

Last edited:

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While you are doing the lower shock relocators, I'd look at belltechs upper shock relocators as well. Can't remember the part number, but it's easy enough to find on their site. It would be easier to install with the bed off.

delta_p

Reaction score
Thank you, I will take a look at those. I assume they will further correct the shock angle?

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you, I will take a look at those. I assume they will further correct the shock angle?
Yes it will help even more so by correcting it up top. Not a requirement, but it definitely helps.

Wrench

Reaction score
C notched, air bags, drop shackles and spindles. Just do it.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 2/4 drop on my 96 C1500 is finally completed : ). I am really impressed with McGauphy’s lowering kit in terms of quality and fitment. I expect to have to some shaving or mod’ing here and there but I had absolutely no issues with their kit fitment.

On the rear I will have to purchase a shock extender kit because the shock on the driver side has gotten into my Flowmaster exhaust a little. I think the extenders will move this out and down enough to clear and give a better shock angle. The pinion looks tilted up ever so slight but I haven’t noticed any vibration yet, still needs alignment too.

On the front spindles, I did have to bend down the banjo brake line about ¼” to allow it to rest under the upper ball joint stud threads in order to allow the caliper to slide into position and align with the holes. Also, I had replaced my ball joints with Moog in 2015 and I noticed the McGauphy’s taper hole mount is shaved a little compared to the stock spindle (probably to allow upper control arm clearance). The ball joint seats in the McG spindle good, but my Moog boot was just shy of compressing by about 3/16” so there was a gap showing the stud. I had purchased some energy boots in case I had to destroy the boots getting the ball joints separated. I just trimmed down the energy boot and put it over the Moog boot with some grease and seems to be ok. BTW, this was the first time I was able to separate all ball joints and tie rod with just a few whacks of a hammer.

The Ultra wheels I am using in the front are 15 x 7 w/ -6mm offset
so there was a lot of clearance with the lower control arm except on the rear of the arm at hard over wheel stop turns. The photo’s show the clearance before a trimming with a grinder and on the weight of the truck. Only the left wheel actually contacted the control arm, the right wheel had about 1/16 of clearance. I just trimmed along that angle edge to provide about 3/16” of clearance. I am sure I’ll need to grind some more once I check out the spare tire clearance.

I still need to have one front wheel balanced, get an alignment, and put the shock extenders on but from what I can tell, the truck feels like it has less roll and the ride is a little firmer but not to harsh.

Here is a pic of the truck dropped. One of these nice days, I’ll try to get it out and take comparison photos to the ones in my media profile here.

This is exactly the way i want mine. 15" wheels and a nice stance. Same color too. Beautiful. Are the rear wheels the aame as the front.. Did i miss it, whats the tire size. Thanks.

delta_p

Reaction score
In the front 15x7" (-6mm offset) wheels, with BFG 235-70R15
In the rear 15 x8" (-19mm offset) wheels, with BFG 275-60R15
The wheels are Ultra 050-051 Type 50.

Stock wheels on C1500 are 15x7" 0mm offest (4" back space)

The BFG tires are a little less diameter than stock tires (235/75R15), so I am glad this drop tightened up the wheel well gap and stance. I am pretty happy with the final result.

Last edited: