Wanting a drop on the 1996 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I've about decided to 2/4 drop my 1996 C1500. I've read a lot that folks say it's not enough of a drop, but I think anything lower I won't be happy. I just want a little bit lower and run my BFG's on 15's. I've been messing around with photo shopping and i like the look of middle pic (estimated 2/4) from the top pic where it is now with only a 2" rear hanger. Thinking about a McGauphy's spindle and hanger kit. A lot of work for such a slight drop. Still undecided..... This truck has been with me since bought new.

You must be registered for see images attach

Turbokat

Reaction score
I think 2/4 is a pretty good starting point. I originally just wanted to lower mine a inch or two but now I'm trying to get it as low as i can without doing anything to the frame

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I like the second pic as well. I'm probably about to 2/4 my 90 ECSB, but I can't make a final decision to save my life, lol. I still want to use it as a truck, but also make it look better and fun to drive, which is why a 2/4 sounds about right for me.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recommend that you do a 2/4. I think that is the best combo of looks and functionality. It has a nice stance, but it's also still useful as a truck. Not saying lower trucks can't be used, but if you slam it and live in an area with bad roads, you'll inevitably bottom out, scrape it, etc.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recommend that you do a 2/4. I think that is the best combo of looks and functionality. It has a nice stance, but it's also still useful as a truck. Not saying lower trucks can't be used, but if you slam it and live in an area with bad roads, you'll inevitably bottom out, scrape it, etc.

AMEN to that !! Everythuibg we do has consequences, I love my stance but there are drawbacks
Bobby V

delta_p

Reaction score
I put the passenger side rear hanger in early this morning. I'm using a McGaughy's 33134 2/4 kit. I am still due to get the rear shackles in next week in a separate box so I am wondering if the 2 inch MaxTrac shackles I already have in are the same size or need to be changed. I'm going to start gas tank side hanger next week one day when i am off work. I'll try to take some pics as I go and post some here.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chances are they are the exact same design and will achieve the same drop. There's only so many way to make lowering parts for these rigs. Your maxtrac shackles should work just fine.

delta_p

Reaction score
I got the rear done. Luckily the 2" Maxtrac shackles I had on the truck are the same length as the McGauphy's and I didn't have to do rear shackles. This is good, because getting the hangers done whipped me pretty bad. Quite a chore to get the stock hangers off by drilling with a 90 degree drill and the bed still on.

I have a transmission jack, so i was able to loose the gas tank and slide over enough to get my hands and socket wrench up to the hanger frame bolts on the driver side.

I will go at the front spindles later this week I hope. I'm wondering how much interference my wheels will have with the LCA. The Ultra wheels I have in the front are 15x7 with a -6mm offset (3.76 B.S). For those who trimmed the LCA, did you just use a grinding wheel or did you cut with a cut off wheel?