Wanted K &N air filter E-1796#

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Hey y’all seeing if anyone has a extra k&n air filter for sale that’s not crazy beat up or a million miles on it? Seen few used ones on eBay but seeing if anyone here has one to let go?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have one that's like new sitting in my garage on a shelf, but it's there for a reason. I would strongly recommend against running an oiled gauze filter on these trucks. I removed the one I have because it kept leaving slimy residue inside my intake tubes and fouling my MAF sensor. (Didn't over oil it, this started happening straight out of the box) I Replaced it with a full K&N FIPK intake, that didn't help and also raised my intake air temperatures significantly. I ripped it out too and went back to a factory intake with K47 paper filter, which is what I'd recommend.

Also from what I can tell the K&N filters for these trucks are the same size as the standard (non-K47) paper filters. So the K47 paper filters actually have more surface area than the K&N. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Something I found the other day:

I had a K&N for awhile, and even had a chance to clean it a time or two. I'm not sure I ever really fouled the MAF, but I got tired of messing with an oily mess. I switched to a Fram dry washable filter that's no longer made. I then ran that for years, and have just recently gone back to a paper filter.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when I was a Nissan tech, we had a problem with the OEM oiled fiber filters fouling the MAF sensors. Whenever I had to install a new air filter, I'd take my air nozzle and blow the excess oil off first. They were flat, rectangular filters, so it was easy. With the round filters, you'll want to turn the air pressure down to 30 psi or so before trying to blow the oil off, with the nozzle inside blowing out.

The oil makes a fiber element far superior at filtering particles to a paper element. I much prefer oiled air filters. The old-school oil bath air cleaners were incredibly effective when kept serviced properly, but the oil/fiber filters are a better modern interpretation of that technology that requires less maintenance.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Back when I was a Nissan tech, we had a problem with the OEM oiled fiber filters fouling the MAF sensors. Whenever I had to install a new air filter, I'd take my air nozzle and blow the excess oil off first. They were flat, rectangular filters, so it was easy. With the round filters, you'll want to turn the air pressure down to 30 psi or so before trying to blow the oil off, with the nozzle inside blowing out.

The oil makes a fiber element far superior at filtering particles to a paper element. I much prefer oiled air filters. The old-school oil bath air cleaners were incredibly effective when kept serviced properly, but the oil/fiber filters are a better modern interpretation of that technology that requires less maintenance.

What was Nissan using oiled filters on?

I found that after a few cleanings I was starting to spread the fibers on my K&N.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was Nissan using oiled filters on?
Everything. Late '90s. If I remember right, the same air filter was used on the full line-up: Maximas, Altimas, Sentras, later hard bodies, later Pathfinders, 240SXs, and Quests. I'd hold the filter over my trash can and blow it with the air nozzle, and there'd be a film of oil in the trash can.

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
had a 96 c3500 350 vortec and stock drop in K&N 1796 filter and started getting a cold start take off hickup . . . found the maf was oil coated and cleaned off the oil and problem gone .

i like my K&N on some stuff but also be dam sure what you put them on and how they work or you will have problems .