wanted: 95 suburban 5.7 factory exhaust y-pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

This is the one I used on my '95. Stainless will not rot away in the salty winters here in New Yuck state, though it's price went up 50 bucks since I bought it. It's a direct fit for manifolds, fit perfectly on my shorty headers too. I ended using a Stainless band clamp instead of the crush clamp.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer the ol’ iron, and the extra connection is a recipe for leaks. It got also some bad reviews on Summit. You can get a one piece Walker pipe for third the price.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer the ol’ iron, and the extra connection is a recipe for leaks. It got also some bad reviews on Summit. You can get a one piece Walker pipe for third the price.
GM used a stainless material in their OE pipes. Why? Because it lasts dramatically long. Walker uses the worst material for exhaust: thin wall aluminized mild steel. It rots from the inside out. The Walker pipe WILL rot out in 2 years. The stainless will be in great shape 12 years from now.
Spend your hard earned money where it really matters. On the right part for the right reason.
The "extra connection" comes in really handy for potential future transmission repair. If you don't like it, weld it.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM used a stainless material in their OE pipes. Why? Because it lasts dramatically long. Walker uses the worst material for exhaust: thin wall aluminized mild steel. It rots from the inside out. The Walker pipe WILL rot out in 2 years. The stainless will be in great shape 12 years from now.
Spend your hard earned money where it really matters. On the right part for the right reason.
The "extra connection" comes in really handy for potential future transmission repair. If you don't like it, weld it.
didn't you have to trim the flange holes to fit?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
didn't you have to trim the flange holes to fit?
No, I used a set of stainless shorty headers. The solid bell flanges eliminated the graphite gaskets and had slightly overside holes in the header for the hardware to attach the head pipe.
Meaning the y-pipe to header is able to be comformed to the header, and the bolts aren't rigid until tight.
I didn't use the OE spring bolts, instead I got stainless grade 5 bolts with serrated fasteners (nuts without lock washers) that haven't loosened in the 6k miles since installation.
Now, I wrote the words oversize holes above:
Oversize meaning 10mm holes in the header and in the 3-bolt pipe flanges.
Oversize because I used very much more readily available 3/8" hardware. 3/8" being 9.5mm, that gave me the wiggle room for pipe alignment.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the same JBL "Y" pipe on mine too. I put them on ~4 years ago with no issues. Where the left side pipe goes into the branch of the Y is no issue, the engine holds them together, you can't slide them off unless you unbolt at least one side from the manifold/header.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
I have this one from my 1991. It doesn’t have the 02 bung mine is on the exhaust manifold.

newmexguy

Reaction score
Might be able to source, a lot of the TBI trucks have arrived @ west side El Paso yard I frequent. Most of these trucks have had their Catalytic converters either removed in the past, or cut off by yard before placement. If cut off by yard, they usually ruin the tail end of the Y pipe in the process. Dave S southern NM