Want to build a 496 Stroker, looking for guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah sorry about the nutcase post. So stock rating for my truck is something like 280 or 290 HP I believe and 450 lbs of torque? Somewhere around there I think, so yeah I'd like to build some HP. 450 lbs of torque on a stock rig is nice, but if I could be at 400 horse and 500 ft. Lbs. I'd be happy. If getting to 400 horse means I end up with 600 lbs I won't be sad. I was thinking the other day that this could be an awesome plow truck/wrecker in the fishing off season. I might look that.

There we go, some goals lol.

Stock ish rebuild with a better cam, bigger injectors, headers, exhaust, and a good tune should get you in the upper 300s on hp and closer to 500 on tq but this is sorta a guess. There is a lot of dyno data out there unfortunately.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah sorry about the nutcase post. So stock rating for my truck is something like 280 or 290 HP I believe and 450 lbs of torque? Somewhere around there I think, so yeah I'd like to build some HP. 450 lbs of torque on a stock rig is nice, but if I could be at 400 horse and 500 ft. Lbs. I'd be happy. If getting to 400 horse means I end up with 600 lbs I won't be sad. I was thinking the other day that this could be an awesome plow truck/wrecker in the fishing off season. I might look that.

FYI..I have spent the last year researching this topic for my build.

First to get 600ft lbs of torque you are going need to be in the 500hp range.

Second keep in mind you want to keep cam duration down and a larger cam will require a stall. And the amount of HP will dictate how to build the transmission, and you will need to build the transmission.

With that said figure out your budget and what you want in the build. You can build a lower horsepower but torquey engine.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI..I have spent the last year researching this topic for my build.

First to get 600ft lbs of torque you are going need to be in the 500hp range.

Second keep in mind you want to keep cam duration down and a larger cam will require a stall. And the amount of HP will dictate how to build the transmission, and you will need to build the transmission.

With that said figure out your budget and what you want in the build. You can build a lower horsepower but torquey engine.
Torque and RPM are related but torque come ahead of Horespower. So saying you nned to be in the 500HP to get to 600ft pounds of torque makes no sense. Its all RPM related. TorquexRPM divided by 5252 = HP not the other way around.

So you could have 600 ft pound of torque say at 2500 RPM and have 285 HP
Now lets show that same torque at 3500 = 400 HP
now lets to some reverse math and see where the 500 HP is at for rpm =4375
Those values are set by engine parameters such as Camshaft selection/Compression ratio/ Cyl head volume.

You do not get torque desired by finding or seeking the HP first. Its quite different than what you said. You build the torque in the engine design and get the HP by increasing the RPM...thats why Formula 1 engines go to 18,000 rpm!..They are limited by rules so they just keeping bumping the rpm up until they reached the desired HP